Trying to fit a M1G in 12" box?

Anyone been using a M1 in only a 12" box?.

I'd like to get the M1 but may be forced to live with M1EZ8 and have to get some add on modules like 124 or MSI interface for some of the M1 features I'd like.

My problem is, the chosen wall for the central closet is a short wall where the studs were less than 16" o.c..  After framing out a "wood cabinet", I was left with a pair of 13" x 53" structured wiring enclosures.  I don't want a lock on the main enclosure doors, but I do for the Elk control panel box which I want to stick inside.  The standard 14" square won't fit.  I could do a 12".

Looking at the size of the M1G, I'd only have a couple inches on the sides which might get congested for the wires.  It does look like the zone terminals are angled to help?

Obviously, no other module could probably fit inside, nor the battery.

It's your choice really...Will it fit probably. Will it be tight, definitely. You can't find one stud bay that is  16" oc? That's a tough one.....I would make it happen now before you do any wiring or installation. Having to redo something in the future will be 3x the work.

Can you change locations of the panel all together or are the wires already roughed in? Maybe put some networking and other gear in your existing location and just move the M1.

gatchel said:
It's your choice really...Will it fit probably. Will it be tight, definitely. You can't find one stud bay that is  16" oc? That's a tough one.....I would make it happen now before you do any wiring or installation. Having to redo something in the future will be 3x the work.

Can you change locations of the panel all together or are the wires already roughed in? Maybe put some networking and other gear in your existing location and just move the M1.

Unfortunately no on the relocation.  The wall was perfect for central house location and timing wise.  It's a bedroom closet/hall bath wall.  I gutted the bathroom so it was perfect timing too to build the enclosure there, ran tons of conduit, also since the other side was a notch in the bathroom for the bathtub to sit, I had space to pull the bathtub out a few more inches so added 2x2's on the studs and my enclosure is almost 5" deep.  At the time, thought about heading out a stud, so I could put in a pre-manufactured cabinet, but just didn't think 13" was going to be a problem. since I wasn't even thinking about a security panel box at the time.  :huh: A lot of the AV distribution wire is pulled but security is still in crawl space but cut to land in the enclosure or maybe another 6 feet away at most

I might move the M1 up the wall where I did run some conduit and power to a shelf height in the closet thinking I might need to put a matrix or something up there but then access space to the panel will suck and I'd probably have less headache in the squeezed 12" box but at least not in a cramped space standing on a chair.

I think the biggest kicker for me with the M1 is the voice.  My understanding, I could still do voice with the M1EZ8 but would need something like the 124 module to get 8 channels, but it would also eat up most of the outputs on the M1EZ8, since each voice command would have to be a separate output to a channel??

Worst case, I guess try the 12" box and M1, if it's a disaster, get a 14" and surface mount next to the built in enclosures.  In the end, it's only a bedroom closet.

Thanks for the input,

archstenton said:
...Worst case, I guess try the 12" box and M1, if it's a disaster, get a 14" and surface mount next to the built in enclosures.  In the end, it's only a bedroom closet.

Thanks for the input,
I follow you better now. Hey look at it this way, if you don't like the look of a surface mounted can you can always build out a false wall somehow integrating the existing box with the elk can.

You could also cut out the back panel of an Elk SWB28 can to fit in the box that you have. You won't get the lock on the door and you will have to cut it offset to one side if you plan on using any SWP3 or SWS. You would also have to stand it off from the back panel about a 1/2 inch so that there is room for the clips that hold the shelves in place. Again, not the best option but still an option.

Then there's the ceiling...

It can be done in the stock 14" x 14" enclosure.

I believe some code dictates how much distance is needed between the board and the battery though, so not sure about a 12", but if you visually take a couple of inches away from that picture you get the idea.

Are you 'just' installing the M1 board itself?  Any peripherals?

Attachments

• Elk3.jpg
    Elk3.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 49
BraveSirRobbin said:
It can be done in the stock 14" x 14" enclosure.

I believe some code dictates how much distance is needed between the board and the battery though, so not sure about a 12", but if you visually take a couple of inches away from that picture you get the idea.

Are you 'just' installing the M1 board itself?  Any peripherals?

Thanks for the photo.  It helps a lot.

I was assuming any accessories and the battery would be on the outside sort of like the picture shows with some modules on the outside of the 14x14 box.

I know the Battery isn't considered power limited, so need to maintain that 1/4" from all the other CL2 stuff in my main enclosure.  Not aware if any other distance requirements per code.  Again, battery would be on the outside of the Elk box, not jammed inside. 

Also, not tieing into smoke alarms so won't be part of a fire alarm system and whatever the code requirements tied to that.

Installing a fuse at the battery if it is remotely mounted is also good insurance. A 10 or 20 amp fuse would protect against a dead short across the battery leads.

I've installed plenty of  M1's and EZ8's. The main item of contention for an EZ8 is hardwired zones and serial port out of the box. If you're not using ethernet or more than 8-10 zones (factoring in KP zones) then the price point and functionality of an EZ8 is fine for most. If you're starting to move past the base abilities, the price point to expand an an EZ8 to support serial ports and zone expansion starts to creep past the purchase price of an M1 and basic system parts. Put a 7aH battery in proximity...forget it.

An EZ8's enclosure is about 12" and when you factor in wiring, it's tight. Even a standard M1 in a 14" can starts getting tight with all the system cabling, the phoenix connectors really don't help matters, angled or not, because of the location in relation to where the typical system wiring needs to be routed.

While not as asthetically pleasing, I'd suggest going surface mount with the standard enclosure before looking at going the smaller route. While not ideal, if recessed is the choice, I'd move the panel and use the existing location as a splice point.

Back