TTS over the phone?

ver0776

I currently send emails and SMS messages on security violations, but that is not as good as monitoring services. I would like for the house to be able to call 911 and read a script & security logs to the 911 operators.

Can anyone tell me what the most generic way of sending TTS over the phone would be? Also does anyone know if 911 even allows services like this or would they be pissed, even if I never false alarm them?

Vaughn

Hooking it up to 911 in my area would get you a large fine.

Speaking from a police view you’re much better off calling the alarm in yourself. They treat alarm calls like a barking dog call unless it is an actual person calling it in. Alarm companies are treated the same as the barking.

Most generic maybe Speak Easy?

Does that connect to a telephone though?

I need some kind of telephony package that will play the TTS over a phone after making a call. Dictation and TTS are not an issue, getting it to use a modem/phone instead of a speaker is what confuses me.

911 aside, I want it to talk to whomever I put a number in for... But eventually would like it to be able to call 911.. ( one it is stable enough like 2009 heheh)

Vaughn

My assumption would be yes, they still would object. TTS and quality speaking systems from alarms are new, but voice announcements have been around forever. One of my neighbors still has an old cassette tape version. It's basically a cassette with a 45 second message recorded on it. He did have an alarm (damn deer through the plateglass window), and only avoided a ticket by some fast talking.

The TTS is great for calling your cell phone, or a neighbors, etc. but the PD seriously dislike it. If you don't have everything timed out, or setup to mesh with your 911 system, then the information doesn't get through. Some jurisdictions have a two tier system for 911. The first operator only determines if you need fire or police, and then transfers you accordingly. If a canned message starts playin in this situation, your message will be lost.

Best bet is to have the system call the alarm company, and then you. The alarm company may get the "barking dog" treatment by 911, but a followup call by you will then get more attention.

You might consider having microphones around the house with recording automatic upon burglar alarm activation & hopefully available for replay to you, remotely. Sharing a recording of glass breaking or two strangers talking about burgling your house would probably move you up from the category of "barking dog" even if you weren't able to call from home.

Alternatively, if "Sonitrol" is an available alarm company in your area you could go with them as they have this technology built into their alarm systems. Much more expensive then most other alarm companies, though, so I offer the suggestion. Their salespeople say that when they play a recording of the burglary in process the police get very excited about making a personal visit.

Hmm. Elk has security built in; maybe they could expand their reach by adding such microphone support?

tanstaaf1 said:
You might consider having microphones around the house with recording automatic upon burglar alarm activation & hopefully available for replay to you, remotely.
I'm doing this now and think it's a great idea. I use the mics I have installed in each room for whole-house VR and upon any alarm (intrusion detection), HomeSeer runs a script that captures 60secs of audio and then emails the MP3 to me.

The biggest problem is that if I'm not at a PC with email connection, I can't listen to it. I do get the message on my Blackberry which has no audio capabilities, but from there I could forward the message to someone else for review (including the authorities if deemed necessary).

There are also keypads in most rooms that have a "panic button" which does the same thing while announcing loudly through the house that the police are on the way. My girlfriend liked this because if someone got in the house while she was home, the alarm wouldn't sound and she may not even be able to get to a phone, but there is a good chance that she could get to one of the panic buttons.

Within 75secs, I can usually be listening to the recording and could call the police if required and provide them with a pretty good idea of what was happening based on what I heard.

The mics are so sensative, that they work well to be notified of other types of trouble too... I have HS set to email the audio capture on other events such as power outage or smoke/fire alarm. With the audio clip it's easy to hear what's going on in the house (smoke detector or UPS beeps with power out, etc.)

The way I look at it. If a burgular has enough guts to stay in my house after all the interior lights come on, a loud voice comes out of no where and starts announcing that it know he's there (even which room) and that he's being recorded with audio & video equipment, and that the home owner and local police have been notified all the while the outside lights are flashing... well, then he's welcome to some of my stuff! :ph34r:

Cheers,
Paul

pkoslow said:
tanstaaf1 said:
You might consider having microphones around the house with recording automatic upon burglar alarm activation & hopefully available for replay to you, remotely. 
I'm doing this now and think it's a great idea. I use the mics I have installed in each room for whole-house VR and upon any alarm ...The mics are so sensative, that they work well to be notified of other types of trouble too...

...The way I look at it. If a burgular has enough guts to stay in my house after all the interior lights come on, a loud voice comes out of no where and starts announcing that it know he's there (even which room) and that he's being recorded with audio & video equipment, and that the home owner and local police have been notified all the while the outside lights are flashing... well, then he's welcome to some of my stuff! :ph34r:

Cheers,
Paul
Paul,

What make of microphone are you using?

Do these also obviate the need for an intercomm? (I've not yet begun to select an intercomm system and a more general solution would be awesome).

I'm inclined to agree that if an intruder hears all that and doesn't run screaming ... then maybe you should!

Back