Turn off keypad chime when leaving the house

mishab

I was wondering if this is possible. I leave the house at 4:30 and everytime I open the door the keypad chimes and wakes up everyone. Well I like the fact it does that when any of the zones become unsecure, but I do not want the chime for legit activity.

What is the best way to sielence the keypad?

I turn them on and off prgramatically every night.
I have a User Setting "Bedtime" at 9:00PM and another "Wakeup Time" at 5:00AM.
You don't have to use user settings, but they make it conveinient to change and the titles remind me what they times really mean.

Code:
TIMED Bed Time MTWTFSS
  THEN All Consoles DISABLE BEEPS

TIMED Wakeup Time MTWTFSS
  THEN All Consoles ENABLE BEEPS

If you want the beepers to activate for an alarm at night you'll have to add some programming lines to turn them on.
Something like:

Code:
WHEN ANY ALARM

I also turn off the entry/exit chime in the settings area.
I keep the perimeter chime on.
So I don't get the beep everytime a door is opened or closed (which I find annoying), but do hear one when the windows are opened.

I also have a button to do this manually.
It toggles the beep status.
If you don't want to leave them on or off you could use a timer and have them come back on automatically after a preset delay, say 10 minutes..

Here's my Button "Toggle Console Beeps". I use a flag to keep track of console beeper state and use it in other programs.

Code:
WHEN Toggle Console Beeps
  THEN Console Beeper Flag TOGGLE

WHEN Console Beeper Flag OFF

WHEN Console Beeper Flag ON

If you wanted it temporary, then add a timer (replace the "ON" block with this).

Code:
  THEN Console Beeper Flag ON FOR 10 MINUTES

Thank you . I failed to mention that I am using ELK M1G board. I did exactly what you suggested - I assigned F6 key to shut up the keypad. However when I press F6, the keypad actually makes an announcement "chime off". I wonder if there is a way to silence the keypad without the announcement.

I'll have to double check what I have when I go home, but I have it setup on a schedule to stop non-alarm messages and chime after 9:00PM.

whenever the time is XX:XX
then enable non-alarm voice messages
whenever the time is XX:XX
then disable non-alarm voice messages

I'm sure you could do the same thing with an F-key.

Possibly keep non-alarm voice messages as well by stacking them:
whenever F6 is pressed
then turn off non-alarm voice messages
then toggle chime
then turn on non-alarm voice messages

You can then set F6 to illuminate when on.

I do this - my wife sleeps during the day, so I have a mode that disables non-alarm voices and then turns off chimes; and undoes it a few hours later.

In my case I use a function button called Quiet Mode - when it's on, the function button is lit; and the toggling of the output controls the status light and sets the modes.

I do this - my wife sleeps during the day, so I have a mode that disables non-alarm voices and then turns off chimes; and undoes it a few hours later.

In my case I use a function button called Quiet Mode - when it's on, the function button is lit; and the toggling of the output controls the status light and sets the modes.

Thank you all! Great info.
Work2Play would really appreciate how you set up the rule as I want to do exactly the same thing. EXACTLY!!! I cant figure out how to toggle, because i can only toggle the output.
What I have right now is :

when F6 is pressed I turn off the voice and then turn off the chime
after a minute i reset everything back.

The problem is that when i hit F6 the first thing it does it makes the "ding" sound. Then it goes quiet.
I also cant figure out how to make the F6 light go off after the "quiet" mode is over and the normal mode is restored.

Thanks for the tips, I used this code and it turns off the status beeps but it does not turn of the beeps when depressing buttons on the HAI keypad. Is there a way to turn those beeps off also?

I'll grab my exact code later from a PC...

One important thing - make sure your firmware is current. A couple years ago, when coming back into Chime mode, it would chime... but per the collective request here, Elk updated it in more recent firmware so that if it's going back into chime mode programmatically, it wouldn't chime. That used to be bad when I'd hit quite mode to leave early, then 4 hours later, while my wife believes she's home alone and in the shower, she hears the chime that's exactly the same as a door/window opening chime... scared the hell out of us a couple times :mellow:

OK - I just took a couple minutes to do it before the kids wake up...

First - I created a Task that's called Toggle Audio. Then I set up the keypad actions for that. So under the keypad under F4, here's what I have:
KeypadF4Config.PNG
The first item says what it does; the second follows the state of the output (which give you the light when it's active). I also enabled single press for ease.

Then in Rules, here's what I have:
Code:
WHENEVER Toggle Audio (Task 4) IS ACTIVATED
THEN TOGGLE Output 199
~~
WHENEVER Output 199 STATE IS TURNED ON
THEN DISABLE NON-ALARM VOICE MESSAGES
THEN DISABLE CHIME IN Area 1 (Area 1)
THEN TURN Output 198 ON FOR 2 HRS
~~
WHENEVER Output 198 STATE IS TURNED OFF THEN TURN Output 199 OFF
~~
WHENEVER Output 199 STATE IS TURNED OFF
THEN SET CHIME TO DING ONLY IN Area 1 (Area 1)
THEN ENABLE NON-ALARM VOICE MESSAGES
The order is important for the chime and voice settings.

I've been meaning to add some more logic using a counter to keep track of the previous state of the chimes and always restore to that; but just haven't gotten around to it (that way if I had chimes off anyways, don't turn them back on; or if I had it on voice, then go back to voice). Also soon I'll be enhancing it to disable the speaker in the master bedroom so doorbell sounds don't play, etc; but haven't gotten that far yet.

Hey Work-
You can trim those rules a bit and remove "then disable/enable chime" as disabling/enabling non-alarm messages already does that. Chime will stay in it's configured mode as well (I use voice on select zones so I know what the kids are doing).

Thanks for the tips, I used this code and it turns off the status beeps but it does not turn of the beeps when depressing buttons on the HAI keypad. Is there a way to turn those beeps off also?

Anyone has an answer for my question?

Here's my Button "Toggle Console Beeps". I use a flag to keep track of console beeper state and use it in other programs.

Code:
WHEN Toggle Console Beeps
  THEN Console Beeper Flag TOGGLE

WHEN Console Beeper Flag OFF

If you wanted it temporary, then add a timer (replace the "ON" block with this).

Code:
  THEN Console Beeper Flag ON FOR 10 MINUTES

Wow, I didnt realize how rusty I was on HAI programming! can we start at the beginning? Customer wants beeps on console to turn off when he naps. Just want to do a Nap ON, Nap OFF button. Seems simple but Im stuck. Urgh.

Im sure I will go DOAH! SILLY ME!

Back to the basics anyone?

Back