Turning on a F key on Elk M1G based on status

amacphee

I am trying to turn on my F4 key LED light when the lighting status of my garage sensor is open. It looks like it is easy enough to light it up based on the status of an output or about a million different other things but it does not look like I can use a custom variable or a counter or anything else. Is setting an output the only way to get a status change that the Elk keypad can see? Is there another status I can set? I see many status objects in the dropdown in the keypad setup, but I am not sure if I can use those for my own purposes.

If an output is what I need to use then what is an acceptable output to use that is not reserved. I found out the loud way when I tried to use output1 :) which seems to set off the siren.

I am trying to turn on my F4 key LED light when the lighting status of my garage sensor is open. It looks like it is easy enough to light it up based on the status of an output or about a million different other things but it does not look like I can use a custom variable or a counter or anything else. Is setting an output the only way to get a status change that the Elk keypad can see? Is there another status I can set? I see many status objects in the dropdown in the keypad setup, but I am not sure if I can use those for my own purposes.

If an output is what I need to use then what is an acceptable output to use that is not reserved. I found out the loud way when I tried to use output1 :) which seems to set off the siren.

Look for attached "keypad.zip"file

A friendly Elk Alpha tester

Attachments

• Keypad.zip
    19.8 KB · Views: 61
I just turn on an output when the door is open, and off when it closes. I started using "phantom" output starting at the highest available number and working down. This way you minimize the risk that you'll ever have to change them.

Well, you're not really using a phantom output for this, you are really just looking t the zone status.

Cool, I just used the output 200 for the effect. Thanks! I will post to the Elk website to ask for the ability to allow for a F key to monitor the state of a Counter.

Very excited about this automation thing (now that it is all working). Now...what to buy next...

I must be missing something. Do you want to turn on the keypad F4 LED when the garage door opens and turn it off when the garage door closes? Is your garage door on its own zone input? If so, why not just trigger the keypad F4 LED on the zone state change itself?

Garage sensor is a insteon IOLinc garage kit so it comes in as lighting control. It does allow me to have the F key activate a task that closes the door.

Make your garage door sensor a "non-alarm" under the zone configuration page in RP. Next go to your keypad function and select the keypad you want. In the definable keys section, choose whichever F key you would like. Under illumination event, goto the 4000 series, choose the input number you are using for the garage door, and choose in my case 4028=Zone 28 state. I am using zone 28 for my garage door. Then check invert light box. NOw when your garage door is open, it will turn off the light on the F key you selected, and turn on the light when it is closed. To change this to the other way, simply uncheck the invert light box, and it will work the opposite way.

Hope this helps

Back