TV distribution with VOD/PPV

Given the above expense, I think a SageTV solution is probably the cheapest and easiest solution of all. You need 1 computer to record from your cable TV boxes. You can add as many tuners as you want boxes. You need one cable box/tuner combination for each concurrent TV show you want to watch at the same time. You then use the SageTV HD Theater HD extenders at each TV to view the material. You can also view pictures, play music, watch online material, watch ripped DVDs, etc all with the HD Theater. The HD Theater also comes with a remote and communicated with the server over the netword, so you don't need to worry about any IR distribution system.

So here is a cost comparison using a SageTV solution:

1 - Computer and SageTV software = $650
12 - HD Theaters (one for each TV) at $180 each = $2,160
1 - new Gigabit network switch = $500
1 - HDHomeRun tuner (allows recording of two clear QAM stations at one time) = $150
3 - Hauppauge HD-PVRs - allows recording of digital cable output from STB at $210 each = $630

That totals $4090, but is a full system with an HD Theater at every TV and the tuners to record HD and Digital cable. If you don't need a HD-Theater at every TV (or will buy them as needed over time) or you don't need to record three HD/Digital TV shows at one time (actually it could be 5 shows at once with the HDHR), then the costs would be less.

It is certainly an easier system to put together and uses new equipment instead of used equipment. It also allows you a much richer experience since the SageTV system does tons more than a cable DVR system.

Personally I think something like the Sage system is going to be a better experience in the long run and should cost less due to all the labor expenses in the Matrix Switch option.

SageTV is definitely starting to interest me.
How does SageTV handle multiple tuners and different TVs? Specifically, if I am watching a live TV show on one TV, can someone at another TV select my tuner and change the channel? Does SageTV allows tuners to be selected in some kind of exclusive mode?

As you can see, I know nothing about this stuff. Thanks for all the input, folks!

You can not 'share' the tuners with live tv viewing in SageTV. This is why people will have multiple tuners in their SageTV server.

Everything "live" is actually being recorded by Sage for pause, ffwd and rewind capabilities. It just deletes those "live" files when you stop watching a show. If you try to change a station for a tuner that is currently recording a scheduled recording, the user gets a pop up warning that basically says the current show is being recorded, are you sure you want to cancel the recording and change channels. However, if it is being watched "live", then it is possible to change the channel with no warning. To prevent this, you would want as may tuners as you would need concurrent different channels.

I will say that after living with a Sage system (or any DVR system) for very long, you'll find yourself watching very little "live" TV. Instead, you'll watch the recorded shows that you really want t watch rather than the crap that happens to be on at the time. About the only time we watch live TV is for sporting events.

Back