Universal Devices raffling off (3) ISY-26 automation controllers for Insteon!

Another item with HVAC.

Using my Ocelot and some temp and one humidity sensor with insteon control I have lowered my use of air conditioned air in the evening and early morning. If the outside temperature and humidity are below the indoor setpoint I will shut down the HVAC air conditioning units , open dampers to outside air into the duct work for the two HVAC system after the air exchange units and then turn on the whole house fan at its low setting. This allows me to bring air into each room in the house through the registers without putting a negative strain on the house fan. Once the temperature set point for the inside air is reached or the outside air temp rises above the setpoint the system will shut down or revert to air conditioning control.

I use the Elk M1 / HomeSeer / Insteon / HAI Thermostat to conserve energy in my home. Lights are automatically turned off when a room has been vacant for 30 minutes and my thermostat is automatically set back when my alarm is armed "away". I also use home automation to disable my sprinkler system when it is raining.

Regards,
Ultrajones

My insteon turns all the lights off in the kids bedroom/bathroom on school days at the time their bus is supposed to pick them up

I'm a looking for a start in home automation and don't have a clue where to start. The closest thing to home automation I have going on is setting my pc to automatically turn on during the day. I manually turn down the thermostat when I got to work. That is my first task on my home automation list, a programmable thermostat that I can hopefully access via the web. I have also put CFLs in everywhere I can. Next is LEDs for the rooms I want to be able to dim the lights in.

The kids are always leaving the garage light on when they leave the house at night. Quick and simple way I will use this is to make sure unneed lights are shut off at night.

DRB

While away:

I use lighting to give our home a "lived-in" look while away. Instead of using timers...Timers would shift with the frequent power outages and would have to be programmed for a longer period than required during shorter periods of darkness.

I use RCS thermostats to remotely control the HVACe so that I am not overheating the house to prevent freezing of pipes. I have temp sensors to warn me if it is getting too cold & automatically adjust the thermostat. Also, I have water sensors by toilets, under sinks, and water heater to shut off the water supply (well) if water is detected.

At home:

I use motion sensors to automatically shut off lights if no motion is detected after a specified amount of time. I use computer-controlled HVAC setbacks.

Thanks for all the posts guys, it's great to see so many ideas in one place! I am a bit backed up after EHX, so will not be able to draw the winners today. I will post the results either tomorrow or Wednesday (3/18).

Thanks for your patience, and sorry for the delay!

Universal Devices is raffling off 3 refurbished ISY-26 automation controllers for Insteon/X10. We'll send you a free ISY-26, you simply provide the 2412S PLM!

To enter your name in our raffle, simply post a message in this thread telling us how you conserve energy using automation in your home. Any idea is fine, and any technology - something as simple as lowering your thermostats based on occupancy, or dimming the lights based on time of day - we'd love to hear what you're doing in your home!

If you'd prefer not to post on the forum, feel free to email your idea to [email protected], which will also enter your name in our drawing.

We will announce the winners on Monday 3/16.

For anyone not familiar, the ISY-26 is a central controller for Insteon/X10. Use it to program, control and automate your Insteon devices from anywhere in the world using the ISY's secure web interface.

Here is a quick list of features:

- Full support for practically all Smarthome Insteon devices
- Support for send/receive of X10 commands through ISY programs
- Diagnostics capabilities & detailed PLM event log monitoring
- SMS and email notifications sent from either UDI servers or your own user-defined SMTP server (support for Gmail)
- Support for Elk M1 security / automation panels
- Sync with NTP server to ensure accurate time
- UPnP support for easy detection on your network and configuration of your router
- SSL (HTTPS) web site for secure communications to and from your ISY
- Support for up to 256 devices/scenes, up to 300 programs
- Simple to use but highly-capable event-based programming interface
- Field-upgradeable firmware
- Free as-is Vista Media Center plug-in for control right from your TV
- Java SDK, Web Services (WSDK) available for developers

I look forward to reading your ideas!

So its now Monday 3/16/2009

Do We have any winners ??

The free ISY-26s go to:

- twilo123
- gatchel
- John (email submission)

Thanks again for the contributions!

I also reveived my unit. Hopefully I'll get some time tomrrow to tinker.

Thank's to Mike and UDI for the unit.

Back