Universal Remotes choices

I also have a Harmony 880 and like it. I have a MX-500 laying around here and never liked how big it was. It didn't feel right in your hand. The 880 is nice to use and I love the recharging base.

John

If that MX-500 you don't like turns up don't throw it out, send it to me!

Hi,

I'm interest in the MX-850. It' on Amazon for 179.04. The MRF350 is 151. Do you know of a better place to buy for a better price?

Stef

Don't buy it from amazon - they're an unlicensed dealer of URC products and you won't be able to get IR code updates.

SurfRemoteControl.com has the best legit prices on the internet. Mike of SRC is also an AVS "remote control forum" regular.

EventGhost and any remote!

I presonally like the FireFly for it's range, function and price. ~$50 EventGhost can identify 16 of them.

SurfRemoteControl.com has the best legit prices on the internet. Mike of SRC is also an AVS "remote control forum" regular.

Just make sure you click on the "Can I get it cheaper" link. You will get an email with discount codes.

Plus stay away from the MX-810. She's pretty but a PITA to get programmed. My favorite MX remote is the MX-900. (I currently have/had a MX-3000, MX-980, MX-810 and the MX-900). If they would add variables to the MX-900 it would be perfect.

we typically sell the harmony 1000, 890 or prontos. the 1000 does not control z-wave modules directly. it is only for rf communication (up to 100') to a 4 IR port/blaster base station called an extender. you can have multiple extenders on 1 remote basically meaning you can control items in different physical areas off of 1 or more remotes. the 890 and 890pro can control z-wave devices directly (so far i have only used it on lighting) but is seriously limited in it's z-wave functionality by logitech design. it is not an openly compatible z-wave solution like z-wave, supposedly by nature of the protocol, is supposed to be. i have controlled just about any IR device with harmonys including t.v., stb, dvd, bluray, IR shades, lutron IR spacer lighting, lift or pop up t.v. cabinets, receivers, dvr, etc. the dbase is pretty comprehensive. there is limited support for macros (multiple command sets, command delays, etc.) and IR can be learned into the controller. the macros are called activities and you can also control devices directly. the touchscreen on the 1000 is pretty responsive. some of the hard buttons could use a redesign IMO but they are not horrible or anything. the casing is pretty solid with a rubber grip on the backside.

here is a decent review on the 1000

http://www.remotecentral.com/reviews/harmony_1000/index.html

the RTI and URC tend to get heavy promotion/training/dealer incentive in the CI market so you will find those popular also. pricing tends to be competitive and they are pretty well customizable although like most remotes it is mostly based off IR and possibly rs232

the pronto's IMO (especially the tsu9400) are excellent when implemented properly. i've seen things like metadata from your distributed audio on the remotes, weather, even ip cameras right on the remote. it uses 802.11g wifi in their case. touchscreen. 9400 has a round clickwheel like the ipods. very solid and sturdy design. ergonomically well designed although i think the charging cradle could be designed better. rs232 and wifi compatible with base stations for 2 way feedback. i.e. - when you turn your sound up on the t.v. or receiver you will see the sound bar moving up on the remote instead of having to look at the t.v. for confirmation or listening to guess how loud you want it. integrates well with a lot of other major a/v manufacturers for a complete solution via the remote.

Hi,

I've look at the Surf Remote control. I have receive the discount code but unfortunately, there isn't one for the MX-850.

And they don't ship to Canada.

Can the remote still be program from a pc if i don't buy it from an unlicensed dealer? I understand that the IR DB cannot be update. So, if i'm buying a new Blu-ray player next year and the model is not in the IR DB, will it be possible to use the software and learn the IR code from the Blu-ray player remote?

I would like the MX-850 for myself. I discover this remote while searching a solution for a client. He has a Crestron setup that work well for the whole house part but not for watching TV and DVD. The Crestron remote control for channel surfing isn't working anymore and is DVD player has been bought after the system was design so it's not controled at all.

My client spend a lot of time to have is Crestron remote fixe without sucess. So he asked me to find him a solution. He want to control a DVD and Cablebox from a remote. All the equipment are in a cabinet in another room. I found this on the Amazon web site URC RFS200 PowerPak Bundle w/ MasterControl RF20 and PowerBlaster and tough that could do the job.

Is there someone who sell URC Licensed products in Canada?

Stef

Plus stay away from the MX-810. She's pretty but a PITA to get programmed. My favorite MX remote is the MX-900. (I currently have/had a MX-3000, MX-980, MX-810 and the MX-900). If they would add variables to the MX-900 it would be perfect.

I come from a Harmony 880 background and like the activities/devices approach (although I rarely use the devices part since I just add the most commonly used missing buttons to the screen buttons for a given activity.

I was leaning towards the MX-810 since I need an RF remote to replace my Harmony 880. My understanding is that the MX-810 remembers component states so can avoid sending IR signals that would get ignored since the component state is already in effect (like tv is already on). After further review I'm not sure this is a good thing since I would bet that all my components accept discrete codes, so why do I care if the remote skips telling the tv to turn on when the remote thinks the tv is already on. Also there are times when I manually change a devices state which gets the remote's memory out of sync.

I'm wondering 2 things:

1. Why do you think the MX-810 is a PIA to set up?

2. How does the Watch/Listen feature of the MX-900 and MX-980 work? When I press Watch I know it shows a list of activities like Tivo, Sat TV, Movie, or PS3. But what happens when I press Tivo for example?... Does it send a list of IR/RF commands like turn on tv, change to input 1, turn on av receiver, change to tivo audio, etc. Then what does it show on the screen after I press Tivo?... does it stay the same or does it show a new list of ir/rf commands that can be sent?

Thanks,
Johnny

I use Harmony 680s. They are simailar to the tivo remotes which is why I went that way. I also have a MX-500(I believe )? It comes with Sunfire Ultimtate Receiver. Very nice remote but a bit clunky and not as easy to program as the Harmony. Either one is good I just prefered the Harmony because I was so used to the tivo remote. I watch ebay for the 680s and try and pick them up for $50-$80 when I can.

I feel like a dinosaur, but if you like products from yesteryear, you can grab a previous-generation Philips Pronto. I bought a "top-of-the-line" TSU7000 for $200 on EBay. Large color touch screen, enough hard buttons, and of course, the largest amount of user-based designs and IR codes. For another $150, you can get an RF extender for that remote.

I haven't been following remotes lately, and it seems that Prontos are not the craze of the moment, the way they used to be a few years ago, but I still like the product very much. The software is very flexible and there is so much art available to design your screens, you can do a whole system in a day with gorgeous graphics. None of the "buying into the activity/device paradigm". You can reprogram the interface 100% the way you want it.

I am not fond of the the Harmony remote (poor software). I haven't looked at the RTI/URC remotes. I like the fact that - at least on the previous generations - the Pronto stuff is fully accessible to the public and has a large user base, and nothing limited to installers (that's why I have an Elk as my alarm system too...).

Laurent

I'm thinking about getting the URC MX-980 with the MRF350 (or 260?) for RF plus a Global Cache 100-6. The remote is extremely customizable and with the use of the Global Cache and my automation software I will be able to control the lights and anything else in my automation system.

The Harmony remotes are nice for basic systems but as soon as your start to get fancy they don't work very well. My new favorite remote is the Nevo SL (haven't played with the Q50 yet). It programs like the Harmony and it is as customizable as the Pronto or RTI. Not cheap but a great remote.

But my new favorite remote will be the iphone 2.0. Will someone please right a program to do this. You could use it with Global Cache or the Nevo Link. Please please please some make this happen i know it can be done.

NevoLink.jpg

But my new favorite remote will be the iphone 2.0. Will someone please right a program to do this. You could use it with Global Cache or the Nevo Link. Please please please some make this happen i know it can be done.

Here you go... iTouch and iPhone integration with Global Cache as requested!

http://www.airremote.com/index.php?page=0

Don't know anything about it. Saw it referenced on another site.

Cheers,
Paul

Thats what i like to see!!!! thank you

Back