Unmonitored Elk M1G - disabling central station

polldav

I have an Elk M1G which I use for some automation and basic security. I don't pay anyone for monitoring - I just have it set up to email me (and text message me via email) whenever there is a security problem. 

If I accidentally set off the alarm, the keypad will show a "fail to communicate" indefinitely until I power cycle the Elk system. This is because there is no information in the central station configuration because I do not pay anyone for monitoring.

Does anyone know if there is a kind of dummy value I can enter in the Central Station/IP Address config, or some other way to turn this off? I can't turn off notifications completely because I still want to get emails myself when there is an event, and I can't see out any other way to disable the message. 

Thanks!

Do you have the telephone dialer function set to "disable" in Menu 8, Option 01?  I think that will do it.

RAL said:
Do you have the telephone dialer function set to "disable" in Menu 8, Option 01?  I think that will do it.

I think you are talking about the Telephone 1 setup - on my system it is set as my ethernet adapter, which is I think what allows me to receive email messages. The settings I see in the ElkRP2 program are below. I don't think I want to set it to disabled because then I wouldn't get any emailed alerts - and I assume dialing attempts in this case somehow translates into email connection attempts or something. 

elk.jpg

Alright I'll try disabling it. If I ever actually want to get it monitored, would I have to set it up again like this? Or is the screenshot I showed just completely wrong and never useful? 

Edit: nevermind, once I delete the telephone and reboot, the Central Station screen specifically tells me I would have to do that, heh. 

Thanks for your help!

Back