UPB 3-way dimming problems

kwschumm

We have two UPB 3-way lighting circuits that are giving us problems.

When just doing on and off from the remote switch (PCS RWS) or main switch (PCS WS1DL) they work fine.

But when we use dimming from the remote switch it causes the main switch to "Lock Up" and it won't control the circuit.

On one of the circuits this lock up happens nearly every time. On the other circuit it's a once-in-awhile sort of problem.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and identified a fix?

TIA!

I have several 3-way circuits with UPB switches and I've never had this happen.  To see if it is limited to just that single switch, can you swap the switch with another one?

Thanks for the info!

Today I swapped out the WS1DL switch, no change in behavior.

I didn't have a spare RSW switch but I did have an old NIB PCS SSR switch that was intended for X-10. It looked the same as the RSW switch, except the switch frame was stamped Lightolier, so I replaced the RWS with the SSR switch and the dimming problem is now solved. What isn't solved is the LED on the SSR is red and all the others are blue. Wife hates the red so I'll have to buy another RWS.

I understand that some people substitute a standard switch for the RWS. Assuming that "standard" means a dimmer ala PCS WS1DL, how does it wire up? Do you just cap off the load wire and hook up the traveler? Along with hot, ground and neutral of course. Does that method allow remote dimming on the "master" switch?

Maybe you have the travelers and hot mixed up?/. That could cause the power to turn off to the other switch?  Thats my guess anyway.

kwschumm said:
I understand that some people substitute a standard switch for the RWS. Assuming that "standard" means a dimmer ala PCS WS1DL, how does it wire up? Do you just cap off the load wire and hook up the traveler? Along with hot, ground and neutral of course. Does that method allow remote dimming on the "master" switch?

I also have some 3 ways setup the way you describe.  There is no traveler used in that setup and as you said, you just cap off the load wire.  In this way, the switch is really just a scene activator.

JonW said:
I also have some 3 ways setup the way you describe.  There is no traveler used in that setup and as you said, you just cap off the load wire.  In this way, the switch is really just a scene activator.
That is the way I went. Much more flexible that "remote switches." Another advantage, with just programming, a UPB switch can be programmed to be a remote switch link for any other UPB switch in your house. 

I have a couple of 3-ways that use WS1DL switches instead of remotes, too, but that doesn't allow dimming from the "pseudo-remote" switch.

My wife wants dimming from both switches in this case so I'm sort of stuck with a remote switch on this one circuit.

After installing a couple of "remote" switches, I abandon the idea of using them.
Now I only use pseudo-remote switches for 3-way control. And yes I have been able to get the pseudo-remote to dim the controlling switch.

If you are still having a problem, let me know and I'll check UPSTART for the configuration.

Back