UPB and Apartments

potts.mike

I have a zwave setup in our apt. now but its pretty unreliable. I think that all the rf around here is just killing it. 

That being said I am looking at moving to UPB for lighting but am wondering what kind of issues I might run into. should I be worried about noise on the powerline, needing phase couplers or other networks interfering?

Our place is about 1000 sqft in a building with several hundred units. I would love to hear other peoples experiences with upb in higher density living.

-Mike

I've read that many apartment buildings are 3-phase - not sure you'd have the access to install the right phase couplers if they turn out to be necessary.  Ube might turn out to be a good option when released; funny I would've likely recommended Z-Wave as a smart place to start in an apartment!

potts.mike said:
Would one of the phase couplers that plugs in to the 240 outlet that the dryer or stove uses not work?

That's exactly what I was thinking.  But, like mentioned above, if it is 3 phase, you could then have that 3rd phase unbridged.

I am going to buy a couple switches and give this a shot. I am going to start with replacing the zwave scene controller and zone controller that aren't working for me. Are the Simply Automated parts below what I need to get started?

SA-US240: Base switch, controls the load
SA-UCQT-40: Remote switch
SA-UMC-DB9: Serial interface
SA-ZPCI-P50A: Dryer passthrough phase coupler.

Thanks for the advice.

I agree Z-Wave is ordinarily your best option. If you're worried about phases being accessible I wouldn't get UPB, I'd go with dual-band INSTEON instead... 

VRCOP hooked to CQC.I really think that it is just all the rf around the apartment. I am lucky to get 5KB/s on my wifi here....

I had my cart filled and was about to checkout when I thought I better check the dryer plug. It unfortunately has four prongs in a configuration that doesn't match any of the plug in phase couplers. It looks like I am stuck trying to get the zwave working better.

Back