Upcoming Keypads Prewire

jlehnert said:
I was taught to always run firewire for the "life-safety" portions of the system (smokes, power, siren, keypads) to assure that they will not be disabled by a in-wall fire (at least not immediately).
Anyone have a link where I can buy this that they recommend (I didn't see this at AO but may have missed it)?

PDF for 18/4 FPL cable

A picture and more info

You should be able to get it at most of the regular places (Worthington, Smarthome, ASIHome, etc). I'm sure if you give Martin a call, he either has it, or can get it. You can also get it at Home Depot or Lowes. Look for 18/4 wire, type FPL (or FPLR or FPLP). Anyone in the electrical department who has a clue (yes, I know that can be a problem :blink: ) should be able to find it for you.

Oh yes, it's bright red.

I'll wait for the new keypads to arrive with the hope that at least one of them will be an economic alternative to the main panel for use at my bedroom.

Thanks by the way.

Anyone in the electrical department who has a clue (yes, I know that can be a problem ) should be able to find it for you.

I won't relay my experience with Home Depot... lets just say I'll be ordering online.

Tying firewire and keypads: Is there a firewire like equivalent of cat5/6? Or are two cables pulled typically (noting these are not twisted pair)?

I saw reference to using firewire for keypads, but just haven't seen more than four conductors so far.

And one other question: If using two wire smokes, is there a good reason to run 4 conductor versus 2 conductor (firewire will not be reused most likely, and a conversion from 2 wire smokes to 4 wire smokes seems unlikely, only benefit is if a conductor was damaged, which if so, what are the chances the others are no)?

You can get firewire with multiple conductors, but it would probably be special order. A lot of the big distributors have drop-ship agreements with the manufacturers, so the cable comes straight from the factory. Elk recommends cat6 for the keypad, so I would go with their recommendation and forget the firewire for the keypads.

For the smokes, power, and horn, stay with the firewire. It's been ages since I priced 2 conductor firewire, so I don't know how much difference there is between 2 and 4, but if the difference is not to great, go with the four. As you mention, you can always use the extra conductors in a pinch. It's like station wire used for wiring contacts. Contacts only need 2 conductors, but the difference in price between 2 and 4 is so insignificant, it's easier to just use 4 for everything.

Back