UPS for the Structured wiring Can

shaurya

Hello All,

I am looking for a small UPS that I would like to put inside the wiring can. It will be used only for Router, Modem, VOIP adapter, & Network Gigabit switch.
Something small that can fit inside the std wiring can that is usually put b/w 2 studs.

300VA or less appears to fine. We occasionly get power outage somewhat like computer reboot...Goes out and comes back up. Please advise.

Regards,
Shaurya

Thank you RonX. This UPS seems perfect however little expense...

Before I order this one at newegg, anyone else has any suggestion/advise.

Regards,
Shaurya

I've been thinking about doing almost the same thing. Do all of the devices that you wish to power with the UPS use some sort of plug in transformer? Are they the same voltage? I was thinking about using an Elk battery backup power supply since all of the devices I wish to power are 12V DC. I'm guessing that I might have a longer runtime with the equipment during a power outage because I will be skipping a step by not having to convert from the battery to AC, and the wall wart transformer back to DC. Anyone care to poke holes in my theory?

Hello Hotwire,

No the devices are all different voltage...6V, 9V & 12V.
Your theory looks good but doing what you have described really provides uninterrupted Power?? I have no clue..

The benefit of the UPS from APC (proposed by RonX) is that you can reset the device say reset the modem after blackout or after some setting change w/o even opening up the wiring can.

Can someone for ElkProducts chime in...Spanky..Please advise..

Regards,
Shaurya

Your theory looks good but doing what you have described really provides uninterrupted Power?? I have no clue..

The benefit of the UPS from APC (proposed by RonX) is that you can reset the device say reset the modem after blackout or after some setting change w/o even opening up the wiring can.

Can someone for ElkProducts chime in...Spanky..Please advise..

Regards,
Shaurya

Hmmm if all the devices are 12 volts, could you not just hook all the devices to the backup battery, and have some sort of charger also hooked to the battery to keep it charged. This way when power was lost, all the devices are hooked to the battery, and when the power comes back on, it will just charge the battery back to capacity, and would have no interruptions in the power to the devices. I am by no means an electrical type of guy, but the theory sounds sound to me :D

In the case of the 6v and 9v devices, you could just use a DC / DC converter, much like a cigarette lighter device used in a car to power a cell phone ect. This would use far less power than upping from the 12v DC to 110 AC, and then back to 9v DC for sure, as I can leave my phone charger plugged in the car for days and days and still start the car without problems.

I have that unit. Do not expect more than 30 minutes with basic devices like you mention. For the occasional items you mention it should be ok.

Be aware if youi plug an elk into it you may experience other issues (as the elk will not know the power went out). I had cases where I needed to reset my serial controllers after a power outage as it would affect my Insteon control (plugged into other outlets).

The other thing to consider: Can you do better with a larger unit that does not mount on the wall. You can get a much more powerful unit, possibly without the web server for the same or less money.

I would look at the other options that were mentioned that provide more run time (and can be bettery put on a longer term battery). At least compare the two, I think if I were to do it again I would look at that.

I have that unit. Do not expect more than 30 minutes with basic devices like you mention. For the occasional items you mention it should be ok.

Be aware if youi plug an elk into it you may experience other issues (as the elk will not know the power went out). I had cases where I needed to reset my serial controllers after a power outage as it would affect my Insteon control (plugged into other outlets).

The other thing to consider: Can you do better with a larger unit that does not mount on the wall. You can get a much more powerful unit, possibly without the web server for the same or less money.

I would look at the other options that were mentioned that provide more run time (and can be bettery put on a longer term battery). At least compare the two, I think if I were to do it again I would look at that.

Do any of these actually fit in a structured wiring enclosure? I have 3 different brands, but all of them are about 3.5in deep. The newegg one is over 4 inches so it won't fit.

Also what about heat? Do they put out much heat?

Do any of these actually fit in a structured wiring enclosure? I have 3 different brands, but all of them are about 3.5in deep. The newegg one is over 4 inches so it won't fit.

Also what about heat? Do they put out much heat?

Sorry...been away for a while. I ended up buying Conext 325VA fro frys. Its also avaialbe at compusa for $29. Fits perfectly inside my OnQ Can.

Back