USB Power Options

I just picked up an Aeotech Multi-Sensor 7 to test and am trying to determine the best way to power it via the USB. I would ultimately like to mount it in a ceiling with the optional recessed ceiling mount, and I would like to power it via the USB source. If using batteries, the sensor doesn't function as a Z-Wave repeater and some of the configuration options are limited in an effort to conserve battery life.

I'm thinking my best option might be to use a POE to USB adapter, but I wanted to get suggestions from those who might have experience or better ideas addressing similar situations.

Thanks

That methodology sounds good but how would you get the cable into an outlet? Or, would you use a POE switch in a network closet so the wiring can run in an attic/in the suspended ceiling?

They also make 25 ft USB cables FYI.

I've been using the longer white USB cables down to a receptacle lately. White matches the trim and some stickdown cable tie bases to keep the runs tight and straight for best looks. Many time they can be run along the sides of trim, and window frames to make them less obnoxious or invisible behind curtains, at least at the most visible angles to the sitting or standing eye. Across a ceiling keep it tight and straight and away from any lighting shooting across the ceiling so as to avoid shadows.

I like to get the USB extension cords, with a male at one end and a female at the other end. I always tape the joints with white vinyl tape and keep adapters, micro-C to USB-A at the receptacle end or behind appliances or furniture.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07P8LC8W6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That methodology sounds good but how would you get the cable into an outlet? Or, would you use a POE switch in a network closet so the wiring can run in an attic/in the suspended ceiling?

They also make 25 ft USB cables FYI.
I've put together a rack with a 48 port patch panel and two switches. One of the switches is a 16 port POE that I intend to use for security cameras, so I thought I could use one of the available ports for this sensor. Cables will run through conduit/smurf tubing to help keep things neat and organized... and make potential future expansion easier.

If I'm satisfied with how the testing goes, I might add more sensors.

Thanks for indicating my thinking is in the right direction.

I think the PoE approach will do the job. I switched one of my Z-Wave motion sensors to USB power, for the same reasons, and it's definitely worth it. I've been testing one of those PoE adapters to power an old Raspberry Pi, and it has been extremely reliable, so I'll probably switch some of my motion sensors to PoE soon.

Just keep in mind that there's still a bulky adapter required.

I think the PoE approach will do the job. I switched one of my Z-Wave motion sensors to USB power, for the same reasons, and it's definitely worth it. I've been testing one of those PoE adapters to power an old Raspberry Pi, and it has been extremely reliable, so I'll probably switch some of my motion sensors to PoE soon.

Just keep in mind that there's still a bulky adapter required.
I recently added a POE HAT to my pi for the power source and its nice having one less cable/power cord in the rack.

As for the POE adapter, I was thinking of putting that portion of the connection/device inside a junction box near the sensor along the cable run and just have the POE cable feed in and the USB power cable feed out to the sensor.

Back