Using DS10a with CRMagnetics current switch

Okay, so I thought I'd give this a try using the NX650 approach. I bought a 9380-NPN (split core) and a NX-650, used BSR's "slice an extension cord" approach, stuck the CR around one of the wires, cnnected the other end of the extension cord into a 60watt lightbulb, applied power, measured the voltage across the two leads, and was somewhat dismayed to see I was only generating about 0.5 volts. I tried connecting that to the NX-650, but it wasn't enough to violate the zone. I added more wattage, same result. (up to 0.6 volts)

So, a few questions:
1) My pumps will only use between 200 and 300 watts total. Am I going to have to make multiple loops through the CR in order to get enough voltage to make this work? Any idea how many?
2) Does it matter (I suspect not) which of the CR wires I wire into which terminals on the NX650?
3) There are instructions on how to "learn" the NX650 to the panel (useless for my ELK). Anyone know whether there's a different learning approach when using the external terminals instead of the built-in reed switches?

Thanks!
Michael

I do not know how the NX650 works, but I assume when you remove the magnets you have access to a pair of wires that will trigger the alarm when the wires are touched together.

Looking at the data sheet of the CR9380-NPN it looks like it contains additional circuitry.

So I don't think there should not be much voltage across the red & black wires. If the circuitry of the NX650 is similar to the DS10A I would expect the CR9380-NPN would complete the circuit when sufficient current is passed through the coil.

Try switching the wires around; maybe there is a polarity issue.

Also try (if you can do it safely) using a hair dryer, space heater, or toaster to see if it will trigger with a higher wattage device. You will probably need 2 or 3 loops through the coil.

Steve Q

Hi all,

I gave this a try, but I'm pretty sure I read the thread incorrectly.

I took a DS10a and removed the magnets. I attached a CR9380-NPN directly to the wires. When I ran the power cable of a space heater through the CR9380 and turned it on it didn't trigger the DS10.

I did check the current with a kilawatt meter and it's pulling about 8 amps.

Can anyone tell me the steps to make this work?

Thanks very much in advance.

I really don't know enough about the CR9380-NPN to tell you why it is not working. I would have used the CR9380-ACA. Perhaps someone else has an idea.

Steve Q

I really don't know enough about the CR9380-NPN to tell you why it is not working. I would have used the CR9380-ACA. Perhaps someone else has an idea.

Steve Q

Hey, that works for me. I'm not choosy. I can always go buy some CR9380-ACA units. This will be extremely useful as I have 4 or 5 different things I'd like to monitor with them.

Can you give me the details on how you hook up your CR9380-ACA?

Thanks very much

My experience is with the CR3110. I have built 6 current sensors based on the CR3110. They all work great. I have not used the CR9380-ACA. Based on the information from the data sheets for the CR9380 family, I thought the ACA would be the best one for my application, but I have not yet ordered any and therefore I have no experience with them.

When you "ran the power cable through it" I hope you only put one leg of the circuit through the coil! It will not work if both the hot and the neutral wires both run through the coil. You need to separate the wires and run only one through.

Steve Q

When you "ran the power cable through it" I hope you only put one leg of the circuit through the coil! It will not work if both the hot and the neutral wires both run through the coil. You need to separate the wires and run only one through.

BINGO. That was the problem. I took a short 3 wire extension cable, seperated out the hot lead, and ran it through the CR9321-NPN. Works like a charm now.

Thanks much everyone.

BSR - My camera is lent out at the moment so I can't get a pic right now. If you want me to post one I can do it in a week or so when my camera gets back from vacation.

Hey Martin, I just have a quick question about your set up....

You ran your space heater thru a CR9380-NPN. How many times did you have to wrap the wire thru your CR9380-NPN ?

Also, are you using any other stuff in your setup? ie...burden resistors? Did you just run the wires from your CR9380-NPN directly to your DS10a?

Where did you guys get your short extension cables from? Just a local supply store or something?

Thanks,
B

Hey Martin, I just have a quick question about your set up....

You ran your space heater thru a CR9380-NPN. How many times did you have to wrap the wire thru your CR9380-NPN ?

Also, are you using any other stuff in your setup? ie...burden resistors? Did you just run the wires from your CR9380-NPN directly to your DS10a?

Where did you guys get your short extension cables from? Just a local supply store or something?

Thanks,
B

btw -- I still haven't gotten the NX650 route to work. Not sure why...

Not sure how it works on the Elk but on a Caddx panel you need to program the Nx650 differently to allow the use of the external wire leads. I think it also will disable the internal reed switch. Not an answer but hopefully a clue! Have you tried the Nx650 with just an standard magnetic sensor to see if that works?

Not sure how it works on the Elk but on a Caddx panel you need to program the Nx650 differently to allow the use of the external wire leads. I think it also will disable the internal reed switch. Not an answer but hopefully a clue! Have you tried the Nx650 with just an standard magnetic sensor to see if that works?

Hmmm... that's interesting, I wasn't aware I needed to do separate programming. How did you program it with the CaddX panel? Yeah, it works great with the magnet

Back