Using TTS with Voice Modems

upstatemike

What is the best way to speak TTS messages or play wav files through a voice modem? I want to dial a number, usually 33* for paging access but maybe sometimes an outside number, and then have a TTS message spoken over the phone.

Is there a simple way to do this say inside a batch file for example? Also do I need a particualar modem or will any voice modem work? Is there a cheap USB connected voice modem that people prefer for this application?

Mike,

I am not quite sure what you are trying to do here. Could you give a specific example?

Do you want something similar to HAL2000, where you can do the VR and TTS/Audio through a phone line?

i.e. with HAL2000, I pick up any phone in the house, press "*" and then speak a VR command or punch in a 3 digit code to perform automation tasks. Any audio responses are also then transmitted over the phone.

Edit: My incoming phone line goes through the following path:

Incoming line
Alarm Panel
Alarm Panel Alpha Pager
HAL2000 V.92 Voice Portal Modem
then parallel to the Intercom system and house phones

jeffx said:
Mike,

I am not quite sure what you are trying to do here. Could you give a specific example?
Example:

When I get mail in the mailbox my Stargate picks up an extension on my Panasonic phone system, dials 33*, and speaks a message that the mail has arrived.

I would like to offload that to a PC as part of an overall reorganization of my paging system. The Stargate will kick off a batch file to trigger the PC announcement so it remains free to do another voice related task.

I'm just trying to figure out what I need to get the PC to do this.

Back