VIDEO: Amazon Echo controlling KODI with my voice!

etc6849

Youtube video demonstrating how I've integrated KODI and the Amazon Echo with my home automation system.

If you have any questions, please post them on the youtube video, and I'll do my best to go through and answer them or make a video that explains things better.

Link to my channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6fLTEmRoGam7B5VoKazC9A

Details from the KODI and Amazon Echo video (Part 1):
This is my one of three videos of what I'm doing with the Amazon Echo, KODI and home automation.

If I get enough subscribers, I plan to make future more organized videos along with details of how to set all this up in your home. I’ll also post the KODI module for you to play with too in conjunction with the how to videos.

In this video, I'm demonstrating true voice enabled two way feedback with KODI, my home automation system and the Amazon Echo!

Here’s what I’m using to do this:
1. Amazon's Echo (aka Alexa)

2. KODI running on an nVidia Shield AndroidTV device

3. A free home automation program called Motorola Premise Home Control (http://cocoontech.com/forums/page/home-a...premise-r3)

and...
4. A KODI module I've written for Premise allowing full two-way ip based functionality (including library importing) and IR too (so you can use the native Netflix 4k App that comes on the nVidia Shield without picking up another remote).

5. A very versatile SpeechParser module I've written for Premise, that takes a generic command phrase, then performs some action and forms a natural language response.

6. A new Amazon Echo skill I'm calling "Premise" that is in testing under my developer account. It uses an Intent called “Premise” to pass whatever is said after “Alexa ask Premise to” to my home automation server.

7. A free tiered Amazon Web Services (AWS) account to send Alexa commands to my home automation server over HTTPS. The same AWS lambda function written in node.js also reads back an HTTP response of what actions took place that is sent from my home automation server (via the SpeechParser module).

Some additional even more geeky details:
Everything you see is done in a very generic fashion. No individual phrases were programmed for what you see in the video, I’m too lazy for that!

I’ve written code (a Premise SpeechParser module) for my home automation system that actually interprets the sentence using nested regular expressions to find what property state, property value, device type and room location you are trying to control based on what command you say.

In this manner, the command phrases are NOT order dependent (unlike most other options out there including Amazon’s), and leverage the object based structure of Premise, to recursively find a match within my home for whatever command is issued.

To elaborate, once found from the command phrase, the device type and room location are then used to examine all devices in the under a particular location (e.g. room) that match a particular device type (e.g. light). Once a match is found (e.g. table lamp in the living room), the properties under that object are compared using recursion to find the best match for the command sentence, and the new value is set.

The queries in the Part 2 video also work in a similar manner, but instead of setting a property value, they grab the value and return a response to the query.

Very nice etc6849!

I have linked to your YouTube channel. 

I do not utilize Premise today but like to tinker with different software.

I have been playing a bit with the Amazon Echo here and use Kodi boxes (Ubuntu Linux) now as the default STB's on LCD TV's here.

Ask <invocation name> <question beginning with a supported question word such as 'what', 'how', etc.>

You can replace "Premise" with another word but you're obliged to follow the phrase structure shown above. That's how the Alexa service works.

This is why I still mainly use my Android Wear smartwatch!  Note that the invocation name is not required when using this setup with Google Voice Search.  I've published a video showing the inner-workings of what was shown in the other videos here:
https://youtu.be/AqmC1gXqrR4

tadr said:
Fun proof of concept, but the whole "Ask Premise to" prefix is a dealbreaker.

etc6849... I have watched your videos and am very excited about the possibilities, but I am a bit lost on how to set up a few things in my house.At the moment I have an Echo and multiple FireTVs all running Kodi. I also have smartthings to operate a couple of switches (more to come) those are just GE z-wave. I also have an RTI multi audio system that controls audio and TVs on off etc. Everything that I have seen says there is no RTI/Echo integration, but with your setup I think I can get there though Premise. I am just onsure of where to begin with all of this. Can you help me out?

Back