Video Camera Solution Needed

gatorwes

I am trying to find an indoor video camera, or possibly a camera plus some intermediate device, to view live video on an HDTV in at least 720p resolution. Camera should be always on, or at least controllable via remote control (will be ceiling mounted, limiting access). Cameras I have located are either based around a security system and have limited resolution or are computer or computer network based. Would prefer to source a camera that can output directly to TV via component or hdmi.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The only way I know how to do this will be very very expensive. The issue is the resolution. You would have to use a megapixel IP camera and a decoder that would give you the output you need. The first brand that comes to mind is Panasonic IPro. The camera will be $500 to $1000 and the decoder WJ-GXD400 will be 3649.50 from B&H.

If I can think of some other option I will let you know.

Maybe look for a DVR / NVR with an HDMI output instead. You'll still need I high resolution camera to get the resolution, though.

A cheaper alternative than the pro route might be to take a consumer grade camcorner with hdmi out (or component if you could find it) and try to use that to fit your needs. It probably wouldn't be ideal, and would take some DIY engineering but might be the only non-four-digit route given the resolution you want.

Terry

A lot cheaper but much more bulky way would be to get a cheap old computer of ebay and have the "computer or computer network based" camera set up with the camera software and use the DVI/HDMI output of the computer to go to your HDTV. Most software packages (or free alternatives) will let you view a single camera in full screen mode and most HDTV's nowadays have a DVI input.......

Get an IP camera that does 720p, set up your computer to have it full screen and leave it......

I appreciate everyone's responses.

Shinyshoes' approach may ultimately be the most cost effective. Any way to sub out the computer for a less expensive/lower power consumption media player, such as apple tv, WD TV Live, Popcorn Hour, etc.?

Back