Video surveillance, whats best options?

Ranger Digital

We have three opportunities all of which want video surveillance as part of the package. Hoping for input on best solution.

#1 Manufacturing facility. Currently they have POS security system, VERY basic and has issues. They are not opposed to me replacing that system to include video. Usually we install an On-Q HMS panel and a camera module. Supply the appropriate modulator. Then they can view camera on a TV screen. Have not done any recording but this customer want it. Can I use our typical On-Q set up, add an IP server (they also want to view over internet) then attach that to a PC that runs some type of DVR Software? I assume that cheaper than having a dedicated DVR thats made specifically for recording cameras. Is there a website with diamgrams that show solutions for this scenario? Or what do yall recommend? Will want sensors that trigger the recording so that they are not just recording 24/7.

#2 Vet Clinic. There will be several stalls in which customers can house their horse (or whatever animal). We talked about the ability to allow their customers to go online and monitor their pets. We are also doing their security. Again, On-Q is perferred manf of choice. Not sure how to do it sol customers can access a particular camera. Recording is not a requirement but will certainly be proposed. What suggestions do you have this scenario? I assume a seperate PC would be needed to run some type of software that allows all this to happen? Looks like about 10-12 stalls and maybe another 3 or 4 cameras in the facility. Is there a way to set up a dozen cameras whereby an internet user can only access one particular cam that they are authorized? Owners of course will be able to look at all monitors. Any ideas?

#2 Chiropractors Office. Similar to set up #1. Security with a few cams recordable and internet accessible.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Are you licensed to install CCTV in TX?

I don't know for sure about TX but in OK its a $5k fine per install for being unlicensed. So if you aren't thats $15k in troubles ahead, I have no problems with reporting people in OK IF I deem they have taken advantage of the customer. IE $10k install consisting of chinese cams and a neverfocus DVR. Thats generally a trade accepted thing, the whole point is to protect the customer.

It's also a $250 fine for "electronic media" that doesn't bear your license number. Thats the only reason my license number is in my signature.

Same goes for each truck that has your name on it. Same goes for business cards.

------

Okay assuming you are licensed in TX.

You will want to get real deal commercial recording equipment, not On-Q residential stuff.

If you are licensed and have $2 mil in liability insurance I can get you a dealer account. With the questions you are asking I think teaming up with someone who knows a lot about this would be the best bet for you. It'll allow you to offload much of your troubles and get to what you like, satisfied customers.

Looks like a total Geovision solution is viable. Its not expensive (for a commercial application) and looks like it will do everything we need (accept logging into individual cams via the web).

Thinking I need to call Geovision and get their input on the Vet scenario.

You can login to individual cameras with Geovision, no problems. Geovision is actually one of the better units for this type of condition, however many many can have remote access to single feeds. Geovision is superior when you need covert cameras so the local operator has no clue there is another hidden camera over their shoulder. Most DVRs don't do that so well.

Maybe you should spend more time pondering your individual customer's needs, Geovision is not an all purpose solution. I know for sure at least one of those systems I wouldn't recommend Geovision to my dealers.

Each install is different and you should respect them for that, your customers and customer base will pay you back for it. :rolleyes:

I am by far an expert in video surveillance and usually let the experts answer these types of questions, but I often ponder how a solution say using an IP Camera Video Server such as the Axis 241Q compares with a DVR package. I realize a lot depends on customer's needs but say you could offer image captures pushed to a remote FTP site on "video change" (i.e. motion detection) AND a live feed that could be viewed over the internet. Then would something like a $700 Axis 241Q be more benneficial with say some quality (approx $120 'ish pricing) cameras in lieu of a DVR?

Maybe you should spend more time pondering your individual customer's needs, Geovision is not an all purpose solution. I know for sure at least one of those systems I wouldn't recommend Geovision to my dealers.

Each install is different and you should respect them for that, your customers and customer base will pay you back for it. :rolleyes:

Collin, pondering my customers needs is the exact purpose of the post, to learn more. Not sure your intention of the comment.

No decision has been made, only the effort to find out more about Geovision and other options. Again, the purpose of the post.

Are you licensed to install CCTV in TX?

I don't know for sure about TX but in OK its a $5k fine per install for being unlicensed. So if you aren't thats $15k in troubles ahead, I have no problems with reporting people in OK IF I deem they have taken advantage of the customer. IE $10k install consisting of chinese cams and a neverfocus DVR. Thats generally a trade accepted thing, the whole point is to protect the customer.

It's also a $250 fine for "electronic media" that doesn't bear your license number. Thats the only reason my license number is in my signature.

Same goes for each truck that has your name on it. Same goes for business cards.]
------

Okay assuming you are licensed in TX.

You will want to get real deal commercial recording equipment, not On-Q residential stuff.

If you are licensed and have $2 mil in liability insurance I can get you a dealer account. With the questions you are asking I think teaming up with someone who knows a lot about this would be the best bet for you. It'll allow you to offload much of your troubles and get to what you like, satisfied customers..

Collin, our current security license does not have video surveillence on it yet, but our partner's license does (we often partner with other firm when needed, ie fire alarms attached to our security). Yes, we have a 2 million dollar liability insurance policy.

I agree on the On-Q for at least 2 of the 3 scenarios. It may work for the chiropractor who is not sold yet on a GOOD solution. He has expressed interest in a basic "viewable" system that doesnt record, thus the On-Q could work in that situation, although its not what I would prefer.

I am not aware of the law requiring the license number to be posted. Thats not to say one doesnt exist in Texas, but I will certainly find out. Thanks for brining it up.

Actually Collin, I am mistaken, we DO indeed have a license for video surviellence closed circuit. A Security Contractor License now includes video. Sounds like I need to get with you. If the cameras have interenet access, that is still considered closed circuit?

We also have added electronic gate access as well although its not updated yet to reflect that but should be within four weeks I am told.

Fine for no license in TX is $4000 and I know for a fact installers are putting in security systems without a license or an expired one. I like your thoughts on turning them in if they are screwing customers.

Collin, again, I am glad you brought up the license number display issue. I talk to the state dept that handles security license and they did indeed state its law to put the license number on ANY type of advertising INCLUDING letterhead. Our trucks of course will have it once the graphics design is done, so for now we are safe, LOL. They were not sure about internet forums, but better safe than sorry (I am actually safe on this forum as my screen name is simply a screen name and does not advertise our company name, etc).

Actually Collin, I am mistaken, we DO indeed have a license for video surviellence closed circuit. A Security Contractor License now includes video. Sounds like I need to get with you.

Sweet. ;)

If the cameras have interenet access, that is still considered closed circuit?

Thats a trunk slammer question, you have a license to do it so YES. Open circuit television is basically just a ploy to get around licensing, ask the state and take what they say as fact. In the end whatever they want to do will be done to you, TX style. I'm sure you noticed that from their fine schedule. :rolleyes:

Fine for no license in TX is $4000 and I know for a fact installers are putting in security systems without a license or an expired one. I like your thoughts on turning them in if they are screwing customers.

The more you report the less compitition you have.

I have a customer right now leveraging getting out of a $12k system as it doesn't satisfy them but more importantly it was installed by an unlicensed company (seperate fine) using unlicesed technicians (the $4k one I assume).

So basically I gave the guy the option:

Refund my new customer and come get your stuff.
Get $10k in fines from OK and my new customer doesn't have to pay you too.

They didn't want to hear that... at all...

Also in OK you can only self install CCTV in your private residence where you actually live...

So landlords must have install.
All commercial must have install, even if the owner wants to do it. Unless maybe some kind of at home day care grey area BS.

Collin, again, I am glad you brought up the license number display issue. I talk to the state dept that handles security license and they did indeed state its law to put the license number on ANY type of advertising INCLUDING letterhead. Our trucks of course will have it once the graphics design is done, so for now we are safe, LOL. They were not sure about internet forums, but better safe than sorry (I am actually safe on this forum as my screen name is simply a screen name and does not advertise our company name, etc).

Yup, better safe then sorry. Call the state semi-often, they can be your best friends or worst enemies. Trust me you don't want to have that investigator as an enemy.

Not every state has licensing, and the rules are different from state to state. OK does have the "electronic media" an in TX they say "all advertising" they basically want it everywhere. Assuming you don't advertise anything you need not add the number. On many forums I don't list the number, but I don't think the other forum members care about CCTV either so it's pointless.

So 469 posts here x $250 = $117k :D So yeah I'm better safe then sorry. :lol:

Back