VisionTech camera (VC20LW43) installed!

Cat5 is definately the way to go.

E,

I'll send you a couple of baluns and then we can see how much difference they make to the picture.

Cat 5 is the way to go, if you have cat 5... RG-6 is still the best, and cheapest! (IMHO)

where do you pick up 1000ft of RG6 for 40 bucks? I couldn't find anything reasonably priced here.

skibum said:
Cat 5 is the way to go, if you have cat 5... RG-6 is still the best, and cheapest! (IMHO)
electron said:
where do you pick up 1000ft of RG6 for 40 bucks? I couldn't find anything reasonably priced here.
There's no reason to run out and buy RG-6 if you're never going to use it for anything else, is there? If you are also running cable tv/broadband/satellite and you're using RG-6 for that, then you might as well use it for this too.

But if you are only using it for cameras, RG-59 should be cheaper, work just as well, and be easier to route. Right?

I thought RG6 was easier to run that RG59? I do want to make more RG6 runs in the future, when I finish wiring the house, but I just didn't want to invest much money in the wiring right now.

NO question for runs around the house 59 is cheaper, but I find the stiffness of RG-6 can actually help you when snaking the cable.

I paid about $50 for 1000 feet. When comparing price, dont forget to add $50 for baluns for EVERY run that you use Cat 5 on!

well so far I am not using any baluns, and already had the cat5 cable :( But where did you find 1000ft of RG6 for 50 bucks? That's a good price.

Well, how much are the baluns compared to the cost of the cable? RG-6 or RG-59 would work as both are 75 ohm coax cables.

If you need the shielding from external sources, there is a Quad-Shielded RG-6 type cable out there (this is what Cable TV companies use).

Baluns are roughly $25 each, and you need 2 per cat 5 run.

At those prices, it is easy to see that you would save by using RG-6.

I agree Ski. Maybe if you already had Cat5 running to a location and couldn't get an RG-6 run installed you might want to try out the baluns.

Back