Vista 20P questions

illcrx

I have a Vista 20P that I am installing and I am having difficulties getting it working properly. I am using the zone doubling feature on it and so I programmed my expansion module to address 8 (because address 7 uses the same addresses as the zone doubling). Now it says that its looking for 107 which is the address 7 for the expander. Also I do not have the zones wired in yet Maybe that has something to do with it, does it auto detect the zone doubling?

Also on topic with zone doubling and expansion modules, where do I wire zone 9??? there are 8 zones on the main board and zone doubling starts at 10-16? So where is 9 in this setup?

Also do I need the 2k ohm resisters for the zones? The system didnt come with one and I couldnt get a hold of my distributor today for some reason to ask. It came with the resisitors for zone doubling but not 2k for regular zones, mainly asking for the expansion module.

My client has a main house and a back garage which is going to have its own partition, the main house is not done and will not be done for a month or so but he is going out of town and wants the garage to be protected (it has all the tools in it and the house is a retro). So the main zone will not be working but the partition needs to work, did I screw the pooch and offered too much? If so I'll probably just delete all the zones except for the partitioned zones.

Zone doubling does not use an address. It is all setup using the regular zone programming and the package of doubling EOL resistors. Zone 1 is a two wire smoke zone and can't be doubled so no zone 9. Panel zones not doubled are 2K and if a 4219 is used with zone doubling it would need to be programed at the address group that begins on zone 17 and uses 1K EOL.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Pay attention to your EOLR values.

The 4219's use 1K. The ZD zones use 2 different value EOLR's for whatever zone pair you are wiring. Also, be advised, any resistance problems on any ZD zone will manifest itself with either zone possibly faulting, which is one of the reasons why I avoid it like the plague.

I agree as well, I zone double only when I need just a few extra zones. If you need eight more zones you will be happier with the expander.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Not trying to high jack, but i am in the same boat. I have two zone exp and i am using them for hardwired zones. the panel is saying exp. error and all the zones are in fault??? 1K eol of all wires and the zones are 7 and 8 (witch should be 9-24). not sure what i did wrong????

Did you address the expanders? Are the EOLR's in series with the loops? Did you wire the ECP bus to the units properly? Is the tamper enabled or disabled?

What sort of steps have you gone through?

i have them set to 07 and 08 onthe dip switch.
the eolr are soder inline to each red wire at the panel
ecp bus?
tamper is off

They are set to aw. The 1k eol was a 1/4 ohm, could that be the problem?
I think you mean 1k 1/4 watt. If this is the case, this is OK. How do you know it is 1k 1/4 watt? What settings do you have on the dipswitches? Do you have any wireless devices? What else is in the system?

I bought them from radio shack and that was the lowest setting they had and yes you are corret 1l 1/4watt (had to look at the box). the first exp board only has swith 5 on and the second has 2,3 and 4 on. all zones are hard wire with nothing else. vista 21ip, two exp boards and the tuxedo are all that is connected.

The only other thing I can think of at this point is to make sure the ECP bus is wired correctly. Disconnect all zone wiring and try jumpering EOL resistors directly across the zone terminals and see if the zone statuses change. Also, try each expander one at a time by completely disconnecting the other one from the ecp bus.

1/4 or 1/2 watt resistors make no difference.

I'd be concerned, however, as the units come with resistors from the factory. Sounds like these are used units?

As stated, make sure the ECP bus is properly wired/connected. Do you have a power issue at the panel or where these are located?

i looked at the connected wires and all colors are right, yellow and green are matching on the panel. i am using the premade pigtail that comes with the exp boards so its plug in on one side and hard wire to the vista. The exp boards came with 2k and i think 6.5k. so i had to buy the 1k for hard wire. the panel has no power problems and they are stacked right next to each other. i am going to spend more time today and see what i can find.

Back