Vizia RF windows application ready for testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnynine

I've written a "no frills" windows application that communicates with the Vizia RF RZC0P.

My main objective is to create a simple to use core vizia rf communications API that developers can interface with and not need to know any of the complexities involved in serial communications.

I'm not to concerned with the looks/feel/functionality of the actual windows interface at this point, just the stability of the underlying RZCOP stuff.

Upon running the application it automatically discovers all nodes and node names and then allows the user to do some simple commands like turning on/off lights, monitoring node state changes, and creating groups in the RZC0P. The user interface was simply created as a testing interface for the underlying RZCOP API, so it's nothing fancy and doesn't really provide any desirable functionality.

Would anyone with an RZC0P be interested in taking a look?

Thanks,
Johnny

I had been holding out for elk... But i'm willing to purchase the interface and test... would be here next week (i hope)

I have been building some simple interfaces to Elk for similar purposes with the ultimate goal of building a front end - i just don't have the time i want to really complete. Basically i'm focusing on the backend right now and have them talking in both Java and C versions. My objection to your approach is using windows and the proprietary nature of it, i'm willing to test, but i'd strongly recommend you move to a platform independant solution (esp if you're intending this to act as an API)...

(btw from my comments above you can probably discern that for all my leaning one way or the other on CQC / ML a few months ago, i leaned to nothing in the end but something i could build myself with no dependancy on the Bill Gates empire)...

thx
-brad

johnny, sounds great. what platform is it based off of? controlthink? is it windows based, linux, etc.

I wrote it from scratch, so there are no third party dependencies, you just need the application and a Vizia RF RZC0P.

It's written in C# and at this point I have only compiled it for Windows (XP and Vista / x86 and x64).

When I get a chance I'll try compiling the API on linux but it looks like Mono may not support event notification for received serial data so that would be one issue.

I wrote it from scratch, so there are no third party dependencies, you just need the application and a Vizia RF RZC0P.

It's written in C# and at this point I have only compiled it for Windows (XP and Vista / x86 and x64).

When I get a chance I'll try compiling the API on linux but it looks like Mono may not support event notification for received serial data so that would be one issue.

Can I try a copy as-is?

Ya don't worry about compilation on linux for me... I still do my elkrp on windows / etc so for now i'll take the windows copy too.

Ok, I'll try to get a version posted tonight.

Can you tell me how many Vizia RF nodes you have, and how many non-Vizia RF zwave device you have? I have not tested it with non-zwave devices so they may not be auto discovered, not sure.

Oh yea, and it requires that Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 be installed.

Ok, I'll try to get a version posted tonight.

Can you tell me how many Vizia RF nodes you have, and how many non-Vizia RF zwave device you have? I have not tested it with non-zwave devices so they may not be auto discovered, not sure.

Oh yea, and it requires that Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 be installed.

Hmm...
I have ~20 vizia switches
and ~5-10 non-vizia

Here is a screen shot of what it looks like... remember, this is just a test application for the underlying API. The API does additional things as well like Renaming nodes, setting light levels, etc. All the nodes, names, type and levels here were auto discovered by the application.

Attachments

• viziarftestappscreenshot.png
    viziarftestappscreenshot.png
    57.1 KB · Views: 97
Now you need to export the device setup to ELKRP so that it can send the data to the M1 and we are ready to roll.

spanky,

So let me understand this... If Johnny9 and/or myself / ohers write an ODBC hook to dump into this an elkrp DB, you'll give us the beta/pre-beta version of the serial expander firware to support the backend? does that really have to be something you publish to release the firmware if we just want to figure out how to do it?

Which take us to:

.. when i try to open the mdb file with MS Query, i get You do not have permissions to use the elkacct.mdb object. Tried a bunch of passwords with the admin user at the next prompt but no luck....

-brad

I only have vizia... (except for the elk M1XZW - forget the exact model)

(22) dimmers
(3) lamp modules
(4) 4button scene controllers
(4) 1zone controllers
(1) 15 amp module

and a bunch still unstalled

(I will order the serial interface tomorrow )

Now you need to export the device setup to ELKRP so that it can send the data to the M1 and we are ready to roll.
I have it saving the node information to an XML file. The application does not currently allow naming groups but they can be created. Nevermind, now it supports and saves them.

I'm assuming accessing the ElkRP DB would be off limits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back