Vizia RF windows application ready for testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any Application Name suggestions? -- I swear that's the hardest part of the whole development process.

It's currently codename VizRiff. I'm trying to avoid using "Vizia RF" in the name since... trademark issues.

Any Application Name suggestions? -- I swear that's the hardest part of the whole development process.

It's currently codename VizRiff. I'm trying to avoid using "Vizia RF" in the name since... trademark issues.

Its hard because you're not willing to pay a BS marketing company millions of dollars for a name that everyone will think is stupid, anyway :)

How about VizView? (or vizrview)

Johnnynine,
You will be receiving an XML protocol soon for publishing the lighting setup that will be read into ELKRP.

Thanks.

Anyone know if the Vizia Serial interface allows for triggers based on lights being turned on? I scanned the docs, but can't see anyplace where I can get "notified" if a light's status changes.

Anyone know if the Vizia Serial interface allows for triggers based on lights being turned on? I scanned the docs, but can't see anyplace where I can get "notified" if a light's status changes.
Yes it does. The event driven API I have written raises an event whenever a light level is received, and whenever a light level changes, among others.

The light levels in my application are initially polled to get an initial level, but after that it is all event driven so whenever a light changes state the grid is automatically updated.

I worked some more on the GUI side of things. Nodes and (as well as Groups) are now saved to an xml file so that you don't have to rediscover your network on every start, however you can do so if you make a change to your network. The ElkRP export is in the File menu now.

The grid is automatically updated whenever a light changes state (no polling is needed for this after the startup poll).

The node names are automatically retrieved from the network, so no need to type in all the names.

When you do change a node name, the name is automatically updated in the actual vizia rf node, so the new name shows up in your remote control as well.

I have not added any kind of automation to this yet, but my current thought is to add tasks to the xml file that can be fired upon certain events. If I did this I would make the task API expendable so plugins could be created. But that's not the priority right now.

I should have a new build today.

John

Attachments

• viziarftestappscreenshot2.png
    viziarftestappscreenshot2.png
    61.6 KB · Views: 50
John,

First off GREAT JOB! I have a question for you and/or the board. As far as you know, what would I need for this to work on your interface. I have several Vizia RF sitches/dimmers, scene controller and rzcop. Do I need a vizia RF remote or can I use some other remote? Sorry to take this off topic a bit. If it is relevant, I am also using an Elk M1.

Regards,
Mike

As far as you know, what would I need for this to work on your interface. I have several Vizia RF sitches/dimmers, scene controller and rzcop. Do I need a vizia RF remote or can I use some other remote? Sorry to take this off topic a bit. If it is relevant, I am also using an Elk M1.

Thanks.

You will need to plug the the RZC0P into your PC while using the application.

I'm not sure if you need a Vizia RF primary controller or not. Perhaps you can give it a try and let me know.

The application can export your lighting information to a file that you can import into ElkRP. (In a future release.)

Thanks John,

I would love to give it a go.

My setup:

6 Vizia RF Dimmers
4 Vizia RF Switches
1 Scene Controller (not in network yet)
1 GE Plug in Module
2 Intermatic Appliance Modules
1 RZCOP

Forgot to say, currently controlling it all with Monster AVL300 which I am considering replacing or supplementing with something else.

Mike

Hi John,

regarding automation, just curious what your longterm thinking is there... If elk releases the expander firmware and acccepts your registration dumps, then do you really want to duplicate the event driving in your code? I guess yours just becomes a standalone program for those desiring it.. i don't see purchasing two rzcops

-brad

Hi John,

regarding automation, just curious what your longterm thinking is there... If elk releases the expander firmware and acccepts your registration dumps, then do you really want to duplicate the event driving in your code? I guess yours just becomes a standalone program for those desiring it.. i don't see purchasing two rzcops

-brad

Because I have an Elk I want to (and intend to) use the Elk Vizia RF firmware.

However not everyone has an Elk, and the Elk can't control things on a pc out of the box, so I may add some automation features to the software. It could be something as simple as starting music in an mp3 player, or sending IR signals.

In any case if I did it I would make it a plug in architecture to allow for third party development.

Cool stuff! Just wonder, is the serial interface protocol published/supported by Leviton? If so (hopefully) this will bring about more and more great end-user-developer efforts in developing software for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back