Vote on date/time for Next CQC Webinar

IVB

http://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/showt...7322#post107322

I opened up a thread on the CQC forums for the next webinar. Appropriate for either CQC'ers, or doppelgangers interested in how CQC does things. 4 options on the poll in the above thread, 3 are for Saturdays @8:30am PST, one if for "Some Friday @7:30pm PST".

I'll post here when the date is finalized, but other folks should feel free to vote if you're interested in attending.

looks like i missed that one...

If possible i'd like to see a bit of a demo at some point further explaning about variables, when and how to use them. Global vs local variables. Normal variables and those provided by the variables driver (why do you need the driver it there is already variables built in), etc. And how tokens work in relation to variables.

That token/variable stuff is still a bit voodoo to me.

(why do you need the driver it there is already variables built in), etc. And how tokens work in relation to variables.

The variables driver really isn't related to variables at all. It just was given the name variables driver becasue it allows you to create arbitrary fields that are used basically like variables are, i.e. as scratch pad storage for values. However, being a device driver, those scratch pad values are available throughout the whole network. So you'd use that if you need some information that every CQC program can see and react to. Normally they see and react to the fields of regular device drivers, i.e. to the state of devices under CQC's control. But the variables driver is just a 'pseudo device' whose fields only take the values that your own automation logic sets in them.

Local variables exist only for the length of the action event that they are defined within. So they are for very temporary scratch pad value usage within the actions that create them. They can't clash with any other variable names since only the action that created them can see them, and they don't need to be cleaned up since they automatically go away when the action ends. So, if you want to, say, get the value of a thermo, add one, and write it back out, you'd use a local variable to do that. It doesn't need to exist outside of the action. It's just a scratch value to use and then discard.

Global variables are used to pass information from one action to another, so they don't go away when the action ends. But they are not visible outside of the program that is running the action. Actually, they are more restricted that the program, they are restricted to some 'global variable space'. In the interface viewer that is effectively equivalent to the program. So global variables (unless you explicitly clean them up) last as long as the IV is running.

But in reality they are limited to the IV window displaying the interface that invoked the action. So, within the Admin Interface, where you can load multiple IV windows, each one has its own global variable space. Otherwise, they could step all over each others toes because they could accidentally affect each other's global variables. The event server has its own global variable space, so that event handlers can store info and reuse it the next time to remember things across event invocations.

Anyway, the important thing to remember, in terms of interfaces, is that global variables exist to let you pass information from one action to the next. Some of the ways this can be used are:

- It lets you create reusable popup templates, where some of the info displayed or something that controls how it acts, can be set in an action, then the popup invoked, which then runs another action (as the popup loads) which can use that info to set itself up.

- When the user clicks on a piece of cover art in the cover art browser, it lets you store info about about the title selected, then invoke a preview template. That template uses that information to set up the media preview widgets to show info from that selected title.

- Widgets can now be associated with variables. So, for instance, if you wanted to have an image widget in the upper right corner that showed an image indicating which mode the interface was in (i.e. what the user has selected to load into some main overlay area, media, lighting, cameras, etc...), that used to not be very easy to do. You could do it if you only ever changed what was loaded in that overlay directly via the buttons in the main template, because you could just send a command to the image to change what it is displaying, then load a new template into the overlay.

But if you changed what was loaded from within the overlay itself, there was no way to target that image up in the main template. Now, you can create a global variable of an 'enumerated' type, i.e. it has a small set of textual values, then create an enumerated image widget and associate it with that variable. Then, you can change the value of the variable anywhere and the enumerated image widget will update.

Before, you'd have had to do that using the variables driver, because widgets could only be associated with fields. But, that meant you'd have to have a separate field for each possible client, and each client would have to be sure to look at the correct field. So it was far harder to do than it is now.

- You can also have a single set of widgets that do things based on the value of one or more global variables. I.e. not multiple templates that you can load one at a time into an overlay, but just some widgets that are always there. They use the value of one or more variables to decide what devices/fields to do something to. You can then have a set of 'radio button' type check box widgets, which are associated with a global variable. So you press one of the, that one lights up because it sets the variable to the value that that check box is set up to consider its 'true' value, and any other previously selected one turns off. Then you can press one of the other widgets, and it will now operate on whatever you selected with the check box, because it looks at the value of the global variable to know what to do.

- Within the event server, if you had some scheduled event that you wanted to toggle between two or three things, you could create a global variable that you initial set to 1 (you see it doesn't exist so you create it and set it to 1), then each time the event is run, it increments the value, wrapping back to 1 when it goes beyond the maximum value. So it would allow that event to remember what it did last time and move forward appropriately. You could use the variables driver for this as well, but there's no need to and the global variable will work fine for something like this.

Those are just some obvious examples of how you can use them. They effectively make the interface system a point and click programmable GUI, where you can create very powerful and interactive and reusable interfaces.

Some folks expressed interest in doing a Friday 7:00pm PST one, although this Friday I could do it earlier since it's a holiday. Anyone want me to set that up? We could do variables (global & variables driver), with real life examples of how they're used, or whatever else folks want.

Some folks expressed interest in doing a Friday 7:00pm PST one, although this Friday I could do it earlier since it's a holiday. Anyone want me to set that up? We could do variables (global & variables driver), with real life examples of how they're used, or whatever else folks want.

That sounds great!

Whenever Dean speaks i only get more confused. ;) haha

Seriously, it explains things a bit, but some real world examples woudl definetely help. For those new to us the widget/variable/field/popup soup is still a bit murky.

I thought of another real world that people other then just me woudl be interested in.

When controlling lights I woudl like to be able to select an icon (which relfects the current state (On/Off, %) from the house map and then have a popup to adjust it. I think this woudl be one of these re-usable pop-ups that Dean is discussing above when the contents of the pop-up (which light it is controlling) depends on how it is invoked. Ideally the pop-up would also pop somewhere near the icon that i clicked. If the light is On/Off only then no pop-up would be needed, it can go off directly. If it's a dimmer you would get a pop-up with a slider or a series of preset buttons. I think it's possible to make the slider 'realtime' rather then 'set value on release' but believe there is some downsides to that?

Just to follow up on some other stuff that Dean said. If i want CQC to know what the season is, whether the wife or I are home, when the last time was that we did something, etc. Woudl i need to variables driver for this to store those values?

Counters/timers are also a good topic i think, isn't there a driver for that too?

When controlling lights I woudl like to be able to select an icon (which relfects the current state (On/Off, %) from the house map and then have a popup to adjust it. I think this woudl be one of these re-usable pop-ups that Dean is discussing above when the contents of the pop-up (which light it is controlling) depends on how it is invoked. Ideally the pop-up would also pop somewhere near the icon that i clicked. If the light is On/Off only then no pop-up would be needed, it can go off directly. If it's a dimmer you would get a pop-up with a slider or a series of preset buttons. I think it's possible to make the slider 'realtime' rather then 'set value on release' but believe there is some downsides to that?

You would put some sort of button where each light is on the map, probably using an image of a light of some sort. When the user clicks one of them, you'd set some information into a global variable that indicates which light was clicked. It would then invoke a popup to allow the user to control that light.

The popup would (upon loading) run an action that will look at that variable value and it will reassociate any widgets that display info based on the light state, so that they are now associated with the selected light. So now it comes up and it displays information for that light.

When the user interacts with a slider or button that adjusts the light level or its on/off state, the action invoked by that slider or button will use the variable value to know which field to send out values to, so that they affect the desired light.

You can't have the slider adjust the light in real time. No device is going to handle the generated new values anywhere near fast enough. So you will need to set the value when you release the slider. But you can display the value as you drag it, so that the user knows the level that will be set when he releases.

If IVB can demonstrate that during the webinar that woudl be really cool... ;)

I had the volume control for my Nuvo on a real time slider..it worked for a few seconds and then the IV woudl throw an error of some sort...it was worse since the graphic position of the slider was determiend by the current volume...so they sort of raced each other.

How about controlling the position of the pop-up? Can similarly to the global variable that says which light was clicked a screen coordinated be recorded and the pop-up be placed there? I woudl make the pop-up pretty smalland make sure i don't put any of the button/icon near the edge of the screen to avoid the pop-up from 'falling off'.

Getting excited about this now...need to spend more time on it. Wish it was winter and there was no yard work..haha

I can demonstrate the basic concepts of global variables, and how to use them to pass information to popups. After that, we could discuss what you want to do, and the best way to get it done.

How about controlling the position of the pop-up? Can similarly to the global variable that says which light was clicked a screen coordinated be recorded and the pop-up be placed there? I woudl make the pop-up pretty smalland make sure i don't put any of the button/icon near the edge of the screen to avoid the pop-up from 'falling off'.

Getting excited about this now...need to spend more time on it. Wish it was winter and there was no yard work..haha

That's one of the parameters to a popup, where to put it. It can either be set to a default, which will center it, or it can be an offset from the origin of the widget that invoked it. So you can have it come up relative to each button if you want.

Back