VRC0P and Elk M1 - Am I doomed?

KapnKrunch

I've been struggling to get the most basic Z-Wave system set up, and I'm getting nowhere fast.

On the Z-Wave side, I've got:
Leviton USB stick and RF+ programmer software
Leviton VRC0P serial module
GE Z-Wave Lamp Module (45602)

On the Elk side I've got:
Elk M1 Gold
Elk Z-Wave Interface module (ELK-M1XSLZW)
(I have not yet installed the interface module since I need to get the Z-Wave side working first)

I've been through the setup procedure defined in the Elk Z-Wave module document, and I get hung up on one of the last steps - I cannot "associate" the GE Lamp module to the VRC0P. That means (I guess) the GE Lamp module cannot be controlled by the Elk. Is it because it's not a Leviton RF+ product?

Am I doomed to using ONLY Leviton RF+ stuff? Can ONLY Leviton RF+ stuff speak to the VRC0P?

I'm looking for anyone who's had success controlling non-Leviton stuff using the Elk setup I've got. What works? How did you get there? Is "association" with the VRC0P actually necessary?

Many thanks for any help!

(and PLEASE don't point me to the "free Premise HA" application. I am absolutely pulling my hair out getting THAT to work.)

Don't pull your hair out. Get DirectTV.

If Premise is causing hair loss, try another HA product. There must be a "Home Rogaine" in the bunch. Or ask questions in the Premise forum.

The VRC0P can communicate with non-Leviton devices. On that happy note, I'll step aside and let the zWave experts resolve your problem.

Hope to see you in the Premise forum.

I believe I currently have a similar setup. I installed various GE-branded Z-wave devices (dimmers, receptacles, and lamp modules); I bought them when RadioShack was closing them out. I recently purchased the Leviton USB stick (VRUSB-1US) and associated all of my devices to the stick using the RF+ Installer Tool software. For now I have been using a GE remote that I also purchased at that time; I transferred the configuration to the remote from the Installer Tool. I have not yet tried to transfer the setup to the VRCOP... I don't yet have my Elk connected - but will be doing that and purchasing the Zwave interface for the Elk soon.

I assume you were able to get the Lamp module to show up in the RF+ Installer Tool? Is the lamp module the only Zwave device you have installed? If so, is the VRCOP in proximity to the lamp module where they would be able to communicate?

I've been struggling to get the most basic Z-Wave system set up, and I'm getting nowhere fast.

On the Z-Wave side, I've got:
Leviton USB stick and RF+ programmer software
Leviton VRC0P serial module
GE Z-Wave Lamp Module (45602)

On the Elk side I've got:
Elk M1 Gold
Elk Z-Wave Interface module (ELK-M1XSLZW)
(I have not yet installed the interface module since I need to get the Z-Wave side working first)

I've been through the setup procedure defined in the Elk Z-Wave module document, and I get hung up on one of the last steps - I cannot "associate" the GE Lamp module to the VRC0P. That means (I guess) the GE Lamp module cannot be controlled by the Elk. Is it because it's not a Leviton RF+ product?

Am I doomed to using ONLY Leviton RF+ stuff? Can ONLY Leviton RF+ stuff speak to the VRC0P?

I'm looking for anyone who's had success controlling non-Leviton stuff using the Elk setup I've got. What works? How did you get there? Is "association" with the VRC0P actually necessary?

Many thanks for any help!

(and PLEASE don't point me to the "free Premise HA" application. I am absolutely pulling my hair out getting THAT to work.)
I'm not an expert but I believe the vrcop can control non Leviton products. However, assuming you are using the Leviton RF+ software to configure your network, then by associtation I assume you mean the ability for the Leviton products to automatically transmit their status change to the associated controllers when the lamp module or switch is manually changed. This ability is Leviton specific. However, the VRCOP should still be able to control the GE lamp module. If you manually change the state of the GE Lamp module the VRCOP will not automatically be notified. The way around this is the software controlling the VRCOP has to periodically poll the devices to get their current status. I might be wrong but this is how I think it works.

Good luck.
PS. I have HAI Omnipro II with 2 VRCOPs and Leviton only switches.

I'm not an expert but I believe the vrcop can control non Leviton products. However, assuming you are using the Leviton RF+ software to configure your network, then by associtation I assume you mean the ability for the Leviton products to automatically transmit their status change to the associated controllers when the lamp module or switch is manually changed. This ability is Leviton specific. However, the VRCOP should still be able to control the GE lamp module. If you manually change the state of the GE Lamp module the VRCOP will not automatically be notified. The way around this is the software controlling the VRCOP has to periodically poll the devices to get their current status. I might be wrong but this is how I think it works.

Good luck.
PS. I have HAI Omnipro II with 2 VRCOPs and Leviton only switches.

Paul, by the statement I bolded above from the OP, I don't think he is getting that far... I am assuming that he hasn't been able to transfer the information of the lamp module from the primary (VRUSB) to the secondary (VRCOP) controller - but I could be wrong.

NOTE: I did edit the OP's quote (removed some information) to reduce the quote length.

Paul, by the statement I bolded above from the OP, I don't think he is getting that far... I am assuming that he hasn't been able to transfer the information of the lamp module from the primary (VRUSB) to the secondary (VRCOP) controller - but I could be wrong.

NOTE: I did edit the OP's quote (removed some information) to reduce the quote length.

Actually, gents, the "association" process is specific to the VRC0P. I can get the USB stick to recognize the lamp module, and the VRC0P, and also get the VRC0P to "update" with the configuration via the "update controllers" process.

Where I'm stuck is this step in the installer software (quoted from the Elk Z-Wave interface manual):
"On the software title bar click Diagnostics > RS232 Setup. Select the VRC0P+3 Node as the RS232 Module, then place a check in the box for each device, then click Set Association. THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT STEP!"

What I do is get next to the lamp module, perform the procedure above, and I continually get the error "cannot associate with device." Unless the VRC0P can "associate" with a device, I'm assuming it cannot control it.

I believe I currently have a similar setup. I installed various GE-branded Z-wave devices (dimmers, receptacles, and lamp modules); I bought them when RadioShack was closing them out. I recently purchased the Leviton USB stick (VRUSB-1US) and associated all of my devices to the stick using the RF+ Installer Tool software. For now I have been using a GE remote that I also purchased at that time; I transferred the configuration to the remote from the Installer Tool. I have not yet tried to transfer the setup to the VRCOP... I don't yet have my Elk connected - but will be doing that and purchasing the Zwave interface for the Elk soon.

I assume you were able to get the Lamp module to show up in the RF+ Installer Tool? Is the lamp module the only Zwave device you have installed? If so, is the VRCOP in proximity to the lamp module where they would be able to communicate?

Your setup sounds identical to mine.

And yes, I was able to get the GE Lamp module to show up in the RF+ installer tool, and that's the only Z-Wave device I've installed. The "extra" thing I've done is plug in the VRC0P (next to the Elk panel), and got that to show up in the RF+ installer tool as well. And, I can get the VRC0P updated with the Z-Wave configuration (via the Update Controllers function of the installer tool), and I have a tidy little Z-Wave network, controlled by the USB stick, and it passes all the diagnostics handily.

However, that last critical step - doing a "set association" in the Diagnostic/RS-232 setup - simply does not work with the GE Lamp module. I get an error dialogue saying "failed to set association."

The Association is used for the reporting status of Vizia RF+ devices so it won't work with your GE device. It doesn't mean that the VRCOP cannot control your GE device though. I have a mostly Vizia RF network of 32 nodes and a couple of old intermatic receptacles. I can control everything including the zwave receptacles made by intermatic. But if I were to go manually operate the intermatic receptacles it wouldn't report to the vrcop so that the only issue.

Before you get too far in and get even more frustrated, you may want to reconsider using GE Z-Wave devices with Leviton/Elk solution. The new M1XSLZW has better support for polling devices – albeit not much better. You can initiate a startup polling sequence by sending a special string to the port. The M1SXLSZ will rescan the network. This is probably useful for infrequent polling in order to re-synchronize the network status.

Basically, if you buy all non-Leviton Z-Wave devices, you probably will not be very happy with Leviton/Elk solution. In this case, you would be better to buy a Vera or Z-Wave controller designed to handle multiple types of devices and device classes. If using Leviton Z-Wave switches, Kwikset/Schlage Z-Wave Locks, and RCS Z-Wave thermostats, then Elk M1SXLSZ will leave you with most number of follicles.

While I haven't been 100% happy with the GE dimmers since I installed them (having issue with them turning off when fans on the same circuit are turned on/off - also reported by others)... the information above regarding their lacking functionality with the Elk is even more reason for me to go with something else. That said, the only switches that I am happy with from a cosmetic aspect are UPB... can anyone provide info on what item(s) would be needed/recommended for good integration if I went that route? Also keep in mind, that I have purchased CQC, offering me another avenue of control other than the Elk itself. I do want/need to keep some form of a Zwave network though, as I do have Kwikset deadbolts. My thoughts were to retain my Zwave network via receptacles (that may or may not ever really be 'controlled').

Based on the latter statement, I assume I will still need the M1XSLZW regardless... right?

I can't speak for Z-Wave a lot, but I got into the game recently with a Vera2 refurb unit off ebay for $100 (still available, I believe?). I had no intentions of ever using a Vera product, but for the price I took a chance. I coupled it with 18 dimmers/switches and a thermostat and have been happy since. I purchased the 18 switches from AO's ebay store for $300 (Intermatic closeout) and even though they don't report instant status I'm fine with them. So, for $400 I put in a system I'm happy with so far, but do know I don't plan on putting anything on the Vera other than simple Z-Wave devices and I believe that will really help with the stability of the product. I also have it integrated with my M1 and fire rules based on armed status, zone triggers, and sunset/sunrise timers. I'm not saying it's the best option, but is yet another one that will (not perfectly) integrate with the M1.

I don't know if it's helpful or not, but I use 5 of the GE Modules, mixed with a Leviton Vizia RF+ dimmer, with the VRCOP. No Elk however, I control them with Elve software. Complete reliability.

With anything but Leviton or Cooper lighting devices, you will not be able to set associations to the VRC0P. Those are the two that pay royalties to Lutron for that capability. The others opted to leave it out instead of paying. You will still be able to control the devices and poll them but you will not get "Instant Status" with anything other than Leviton or Cooper. The original ACT devices has that featuer as well but it was removed after they decided they did not want Lutron coming after them as well.

... I use 5 of the GE Modules... with the VRC0P ... with Elve software.
So I guess you are using the driver's default 45 second polling interval to interrogate each of the five zWave devices and acquire its status. I wonder what number of devices causes polling traffic to impinge upon overall network performance. 25? 50? Anyone have any experience with how polling affects performance in a large zWave network (if at all)?

FWIW, I'm a fan of devices that report their status. It just makes sense. Anything less is like X10.

With anything but Leviton or Cooper lighting devices, you will not be able to set associations to the VRC0P. Those are the two that pay royalties to Lutron for that capability. The others opted to leave it out instead of paying. You will still be able to control the devices and poll them but you will not get "Instant Status" with anything other than Leviton or Cooper. The original ACT devices has that featuer as well but it was removed after they decided they did not want Lutron coming after them as well.

Thanks for this definitive answer. Looks like I came to the right place. And I agree with "123" that choosing devices that report status is the best way to go.

Back