Walls Are Open... What Wires to Run for Automated Shades?

Jrock

My living room is being re-sheetrocked tomorrow. Since I will have easy access I was wondering what wires I should run to my windows for future automated shades. I would like to be able to operate them through my OmniPro II.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,
-Jeff

There is mention in that other thread about "banking" the feeds, that it is running the shade motors in parallel so you simply have one AC wire jumping from window to window. That is not a good idea.

Manufacturers warn that there is a feedback from one motor to another that can cause issues.

There may be a device available for some motors that you can purchase extra to aid with the situation, but why ask for trouble. My advice is to not lock yourself into a situation where you are running motors in parallel.

Thanks for your replies.

I have a custom window covering company coming in to show me my options and do the installation. Unfortunately, they were not able to get here before the walls are closed which is why I was looking to pre-wire myself. I have been researching automated drapes/blinds for a while now so I knew there were many options. I was just hoping someone would chime in with what my best option would be for easy integration to my OP2.

I am leaning towards Hunter Douglas coverings retro fitted with a Somfy motor for either RS485 or contact closure control. I have 3 windows I would like to operate as one so from what I have read I should be able to get away with running one 16/2 and one cat5.

I have an unfinished basement below and an attic above so I ended up just drilling down and will fish wires when I figure out exactly what I need.

Back