water sensor in powder room/masterbath

There are also 2 wire water sensors out there. The ones I use are 2 wire and they derive power from the zone. I cant remember the name of the mfg. It cant hurt to pull 4 wire and have the extra conductors if you go with 2 wire devices later.

So guys, my current water sensor wiring design will be terminated to M1XIN board. Is this fine? Will this work?

And does it matter if using a carlon gang box or mud ring for my low voltage wires?

FYI:

THIS Winland WaterBug is kind of intriguing. From that site's specs:

The model WB-800 operates on 12 or 24 Volt AC/DC and has a form C relay output that can be connected to alarm panels, bells, dialers, etc. Unit also includes internal alarm buzzer with silence switch and eight LEDs on console to identify the sensor in alarm. As many as eight supervised sensor probes can be run up to 500 feet away (or 16 non-supervised sensors). Each sensor probe has two contacts. When a film of water forms a bridge between these contacts, the unit senses this and triggers the alarm output. The sensor will not alarm due to condensation or high humidity. Four standard surface sensors are included with the unit.

This way you will only have to use one Elk Zone and can run your probes on "hopefully" just two wires (couldn't find any info how may actual conductors were required to the sensor).

Of course you would not know "which" zone tripped, just that one did.

Anyways posting this just for the fun of it. :D

EDIT: Scratch that. They want over $300 for that unit!!! :eek: :rolleyes:

Something like THIS has a lot better price (even though it's not an apples to apples comparison).

since water sensor require 4 conductors, I will just connect the 2 con to the +- in XIN and the +- from water sensor will be connected to the terminal block. The other 2 will be connected to any zone in XIN.

The GRI-12 that BSR posted above use 2 conductors I beleive (I am pretty sure that is what I used). If you shop around you can do better on the price. I found them on ebay a while back for about $6.00. You should get them for $10 at the most if you look around.

Not sure if this is the one you mean Digger, but the GRI-2600 requires four wires (two for power) according to their specs (see screen shot below).

I would think you would be able to use a 12 Volt DC wall wart though if you only wanted to use two wires and you had an outlet nearby. Of course it would not be battery backed up like the Elk DC power.

Attachments

• instr.jpg
    instr.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 12
Digger said:
The GRI-12 that BSR posted above use 2 conductors I beleive (I am pretty sure that is what I used). If you shop around you can do better on the price. I found them on ebay a while back for about $6.00. You should get them for $10 at the most if you look around.
Can you please verify if it really uses only 2 conductors?

I have a GRI 2600 in my hand which is the same thing what BSR found, GRI 12 Volt DC Water Sensor - 2600 and it requires 4 conductors.

toymaster458 said:
I have a GRI 2600 in my hand which is the same thing what BSR found, GRI 12 Volt DC Water Sensor - 2600 and it requires 4 conductors.
Ok, I though I would be able to save a pair of conductor from the 22/4 :rolleyes:

Digger said:
I will try and track down the 2 wire water sensors I used in case you want to use them.
If it's ok please so I can save wire. If it's tough for you to get to it, don't worry. :rolleyes:

Back