WattStopper ELK M1

I installed a WattStopper Outdoor PIR Motion Sensor (Model EW-200) to control my outdoor flood lights. This model PIR comes with an additional Isolated Relay NC /NO to be used as need.

The motion portion of this PIR to control my outdoor  lighting works flawlessly.

I installed the isolated relay wiring to my ELK M1 Gold  panel using the NC wiring to one of the zones and configured it using the ELK RP2 software so that it would notify me by email or by text when the zone was violated at night while the ELK was in an Armed State.
I set the zone, Definition: Aux 1 24.Alarm and the Type: 0=EOL Hardwire / Wireless  so that it would not notify the monitoring agency if violated and it would also not set off any interior alarms.

To first test this installation I wrote a rule in the ELK RP2 software to send me a text or an email when the zone was violated and it would work ever time the zone was violated without an issue.

However, when I wrote a rule to send me a text or email when the zone was violated when the system was in the Armed State it never send. I can see in the ELK RP2 software under the Status screen that the zone is violated but it never sends out the text or email.

Again, this failure to send only happens when the rule is written to send the text or email is when the zone is violated when the system is in the Armed State.

Any ideas?

What does your rule look like? I am no expert but here is my guess.

If it is whenever armed and motion it will likely never trigger an email unless their is motion at the time the system is armed.

I think the better way is to set it to trigger whenever there is motion and the alarm is armed.

Bingo john you were right! Didn't matter which definition I used it would only work if I listed the zone violation first in the rule and that it was in the alarm mode in the second statement. Thanks for your help!

Glad that helped! I clearly have made that same mistake before. I think there is a tech note that describes it wellZ

Another option is to set a rule that triggers every 2 seconds or so and then also check if the system is armed and there is motion. This seems less elegant however.

The thing to remember is that the condition in a Whenever clause is a momentary event.  So a rule will trigger at the moment that a zone becomes violated; or at the moment the system enters the armed state.   If a zone became non-secure an hour ago, that will not trigger a rule now.

The conditions in AND clauses are based on the state of something right now, and it doesn't matter when they entered that state.  So a zone that became non-secure an hour ago will satisfy an AND clause.

So if you need to write a rule that depends on two or more conditions, it's important to think about which one can satisfy the Whenever clause.  If neither one is an event that can be pinpointed in time, then you can use a time based condition that triggers every few seconds or minutes in the Whenever clause, and place the other conditions in AND clauses.

Here is the tech note on how the rule engine works.

Another way to think about it is being objective about the word WHENEVER, and to realize that you are defining specifically WHEN an event will happen in time.

As you may have first written the rule WHEN the system and is armed and motion; well, WHEN the system is armed, is the very moment that it becomes armed. So that rule would only trigger at the moment that it was armed and there was motion on that sensor.

Back