What do you want to know about Z-Wave?

ChrisWalker

I'm putting together a list of Z-Wave FAQ's. I'm also interested in "ask the expert" type of questions.

There is an opportunity to get a few of these in print, and answered as well.

Do any of you have such questions? ;)

Chris

If your switches are too far apart to establish a mesh is there a repeater or range extender you can use to fill in the gaps?

I would like to see a nice honest technical comparison sheet between Z-Wave, UPB and Insteon. List all major features, speeds, etc and fill in the matrix. I think that would help a lot of people. Too many people get sucked up in marketing hype.

Chris,
What is the latest on getting status feedback from Zwave switches that turn on lights?

I know several companies are working on solutions. I read in one of the trade journals that Lutron was ready to start patent infringement notifications to companies trying to circumvent their status feedback patent.

Steve said:
I would like to see a nice honest technical comparison sheet between Z-Wave, UPB and Insteon. List all major features, speeds, etc and fill in the matrix. I think that would help a lot of people. Too many people get sucked up in marketing hype.
If this happens, I'd like to see in the comparison sheet all the things that people consider to be "wrong" with each protocol (UPB has slight delay and buzz and is comparatively expensive, Insteon still very new and problems with firmware and extended messaging, Zwave does not have switches and true 2-way status notification only comes in more expensive line, etc.)

I think people using a sheet like this are as, or more, interested in what percieved problems they will have to live with as what benefits they cannot live without (does this even make sense?).

Spanky,

The first "true two-way" devices (Leviton VIZIA RF) started shipping almost a month ago. We picked up two of them from Worthington (one lamp module and one appliance module), and the switches do update status when you turn them on/off.

Chris

Are VIZIA RF switches true rocker switches or "push-on, push-off" where you always push the bottom of the rocker?

I know several companies are working on solutions. I read in one of the trade journals that Lutron was ready to start patent infringement notifications to companies trying to circumvent their status feedback patent.

This does concern me. I'd hate to buy a bunch of zwave switches and then have them become obsolete because Lutron sued them into oblivion. <_<

Matt

mdonovan said:
I'd hate to buy a bunch of zwave switches and then have them become obsolete because Lutron sued them into oblivion.
Lutron vs Leviton, that would be a battle of gorillas. But I believe Leviton is the bigger ape.

In any case, a patent fight would take years, and the likely outcome would be a licensing settlement, with no disruption in supply.

After all, these companies only really care about the money.

But a question for Chris's FAQ:

What is the view of Zensys with regards to the patent? Is this only a US patent issue? Have they / would they get involved in it?

When will we start to see software tools to help manage Z-Wave networks?

It would be nice if the tools could:
-Help visualize the routing table in the controller.
-Make a listing of who is associated with whom and specific devices parameters, settings etc.
-Let us run some tests on questionnable devices.
-To delete ghost devices or devices that are not in the network anymore.
-To read signal strenght of devices with guidelines for a reliable network.
-Report Z-wave errors or codes.
-Anything else to help troubleshoot a Z-Wave network.

Thanks

If I a device fails in the middle of the mesh network, and gets replaced.

How does that affect the routing ?
Will they be updated by the new device added ?
Will the other devices finally give up on the missing device ?

Also,

Does adding devices from controller to furthest point or reverse make any difference ?

Can you refresh the routing for a device by removing it from the network and re-adding it ? or is there a better way? ( excluding thinkessentials of course )

StevenE

upstatemike said:
Are VIZIA RF switches true rocker switches or "push-on, push-off" where you always push the bottom of the rocker?
VIZIA RF switches are toggle switches. It's not really a rocker, per-say, as much as you push the bottom of the (curved/angled) switch.

Chris

Back