What exactly can I switch with an Autopatch 4YDM?

beelzerob

I've had this for a while, and never bothered to use it. I might be starting to bother. It has 6 inputs and 4 outputs (or vice versa)...each card has 4 connectors on it.

I'm not doing a lot of distributed video lately, but here's some thoughts of things I wondered if I could switch:

1) Simple L/R audio signals (switched from multiple sources, outputing to an amp)
2) Amplified speaker signals (switched from the amp to different speaker pair)
3) The signal that comes out of our Dish DVR on a coax cable. The DVR has 2 outputs for 2 TV's, and the 2nd TV you can either use the S-video and L/R audio, or just use the coax cable coming out and turn your TV to channel 83. I've already used a splitter to take that output coax cable to 2 different TV's, but I wondered if I could use the 4YDM to take that single input and "split" it to 3 different TV's that way.

Just curious, as I try to figure a way to use this thing.

There are several different card configurations that you may have. Some are high output cards (which should allow HD video switching), others are not high output. You should be able to take off one of the covers in the back and pull a card out to see exactly what you have. They have pins on them to enable you to plug in and unplug the cards. Just pull them straight out of the unit and you shouldn't have any problems.

Technically the 4 inputs/ouputs are probably for R G B and sych. They sych signal is different than the other three. Sometimes it will not switch signals as expected because of the different signal make up. But you should have no problem switching composite or S-Video on any of the R G or B inputs. Line level analog sound might work, but since the switch is designed for video signals, it may not. I've just not tried it to see. I'm also not sure about the amplifed audio or the coaxial signals, but my gut feeling is those probably will not work well.

So, this thing will switch my video, but might not also switch my audio?? I had thought the 4 outputs were for RGB and digital sound (shows how dumb I am).

So, for one output of component video and digital sound (if it even passes that), I'd have to use TWO of my outputs? This thing is less appealing now than it was....

On some matrix switches, you can get digital audio to pass correctly over the sych input/output. It is certainly worth a shot, but it is certainly not 100% guaranteed and I am not familar enough with the 4YDM to know if digital audio tends to work on that switch.

If you call AutoPatch and provide the serial number they'll tell you how it's configured (assuming no one has swapped any cards around).

Back