What is needed to order Uplink 2500 for M1G

newalarm

I finally will make the purchase and go cellular. It simply did no make sense to get copper line and internet/voip is not stable enough with power outages.

I was wondering if i could get some help with assembling a shopping list:

Uplink 2500EZ
ELK-M1XSP Serial expander
ELK-P983 Power supply P624 w/ battery charger
ELK-TRG1640 Power transformer
ELK-965 Low Power Disconnect
Elk-W046A Cable for Uplink to Serial expander
Battery ? What size is recommended?

Here are my questions:

1. Am I missing anything or should I look at some other options?

2. Does the power supply and battery need to be monitored, or does the connection to the M1G do that?

3. Can the entire unit be located about 30 or so feet from the panel? I am thinking of connecting it through a keypad, back to the DBH, in an upstairs closet that contains the air handler.

4. They may be a dumb questions but, can you connect multiple devices (lets say Control and Serial expander, or Control and P212S) to one power transformer ELK-TRG1640?

5. I have seen some people mention that they connected the Uplink 2500 to a dedicated P212S power supply. Is this an option if monitoring is prefered?

Thanks in advance.

From what I understand the cable you need should come with the XSP, but it might depend where you buy it (I got my XSP off Ebay and the cable it came with was the *old* version which has one end to plug into the XSP and the other end is raw wire, not the correct serial connector for the Uplink)

The P983 can supports one 7 or 8aH battery. Something like this: http://www.amazon.co...TF8&me=&seller=

Power supply doesnt NEED To be monitored, but obviously it would be nice to know. It doesnt have supervisory contacts that I know of, so no way to monitor the standard included power board. Youd have to upgrade to the 212S.

I have my Uplink about 30' from my panel. I did home runs for everything on the databus and I daisy chain them in the main can, but you should be able to daisy chain to the XSP like you would anything else.

Not sure Id connect multiple large draw items to a single xformer. All of the ELK stuff Ive seen says what xformer it requires, but Ive never seen any specs on if you can use the same for more than one item.

Yes you can use a 212S dedicated to the Uplink. The thing is, the Uplink can use up to 2A in alarm condition, but apparently thats for very very short bursts (milliseconds). Not in alarm its using very little current, so to buy a fairly expensive supervised power supply to just sit idle most of the time doesnt make much sense (to me anyway). If you wanted to go that route, you could buy something like an Altronix 6A power supply that has supervisory contacts, and wire the supervisories back to the M1 panel as a zone. 2A would go to the Uplink, the other 4A would be available for whatever (I use that setup to power my Uplink and motions and glassbreaks). The supervisories arent as informative as the 212S (since the 212S is on the databus) but the power supply becomes more useful since you have a lot of headroom left for other uses.

Pretty much the basics that were said above.

You wouldn't want to put more devices on a single transformer, such as a power supply and a M1....not enough wattage/VA in most plug in transformers to handle the spec.

Thanks for the responses. So, What happens if the Uplink looses power, battery fails, or other. How does control/monitoring company know?

Depends on if the panel has a redundant comms route in addition/secondary to the cell, how the uplink is configured, how the panel is configured via rules and input/outputs and what sort of power supply you install.

Right. I guess I will look at this once I receive product. I will do a search on programing the 2500 for M1G and see what I find. DEL, what power supply do you recommend with the 2500?

Without looking it up, I would either go with Elk's "stupid" unit and supervise elsewhere (or not worry about AC/LB) or an Altronix AL300ULXB or larger and tie the supervisiories back to the panel.

I believe there are messages it sends out of the serial port, the lack of this message can represent a downed Uplink unit.

In the XSP manual there is an explanation of what string to look for and how to setup a rule in ElkRP to fire something when that string is passed from the Uplink.

What battery would you recommend for the uplink and P983? Seems like only 8A will fit in the smaller box. Would that be sufficient for 4ish hours? We do not often have power outages.

And if multiple batteries are needed, how are they wired?

Uplink 2500EZ
ELK-M1XSP Serial expander
ELK-P983 Power supply P624 w/ battery charger
ELK-TRG1640 Power transformer
ELK-965 Low Power Disconnect
Elk-W046A Cable for Uplink to Serial expander
Battery ? What size is recommended?

8aH will fit in the can. Uplinks spec sheet shows 28mA idle current, 500 mA max. I think the MAX max is like 1.5A.

8000mA in your battery, 28mA at idle, if Im doing the math correctly its 8000/28 = # of hours at idle before battery is drained. Even if you round up the average to 100mA to include some transmit time you are looking at 8000/100 = 80 hours.

Even at FULL transmit power youd get more than 4 hours out of the battery, but full transmit is only used for a brief period (milliseconds)

FYI - I bought a 2500EZ about a month ago - it does not have the same connector on the board that the 2500 uses, so a 2500 RS232 cable will not work with the 2500EZ.

The M1XSP does come with a cable to connect the 2500, but the included cable does NOT fix the 2500EZ.

I sent an email to Uplink, and they sent me a different RS232 cable that connects to the 2500EZ. The new cable connection is basically a square, so I'm slightly concerned about orientation, and I can't find anything that calls out what orientation is correct. There is a small white dot on one corner...If memory serves me well, there's a total of 10 or 12 pins on the connector (5 or 6 in two rows), but there's only 3 wires going into the connector meaning that the connector must have a correct/incorrect orientation.

I have yet to turn on my M1 (we're still in the building phase), so I can't give you any feedback other than what was in the box, and what was needed to hook it up.

Hope this helps.

No, you just confused me... but before ordering, it is a good thing. The XSP instructions (page 25) talk about NOT using the Uplink cable, and using the Elk-W046A Cable. I did not realize there were different Uplinks. Can anyone chime in on this?

What did Uplink say about the EZ?

Back