What is wrong with CQC?

now the trend is shifting towards linux/apple

Yes Linux and no Apple.  Linux is free and Apple is not.

It will be a long time before Linux dominants the enterprise office environment. 

Apple isn't even in the picture of long term enterprise desktop environments.

picta said:
I have a bunch of files on that drive that I need to copy over.

Yes but why a mapped drive? I stopped mapping drives years ago and use network paths instead.

pete_c said:
Yes Linux and no Apple.  Linux is free and Apple is not.

It will be a long time before Linux dominants the enterprise office environment.  Apple isn't even in the picture of long term enterprise desktop environments.

It may take long, but this is where the trend is going. At a recent business conference I attended I saw hundreds of folks using iPads and mac-minies, and very few wintels or even android tablets. I was one of the few with windows laptop and felt really outdated.

Frederick C. Wilt said:
Yes but why a mapped drive? I stopped mapping drives years ago and use network paths instead.
 I am not sure what you mean by that. My drive is on the network, but the new laptop cannot seem to access it, while the old one can

picta said:

But specifically for home automation the windows OS was never a good choice as the HA server needs to run 24/7 and windows was never able to achieve the kind of reliability required for a server.
I have never had any trouble with reliability on my CQC machine or the Premise server I used before the switch. I built an in-wall touch screen computer with a nano PC that ran my own scaled down version XP off a compact flash card that ran non stop for over two years without any downtime, I only shut it down when I decided I no longer wanted a touch screen in the wall. My SageTV server running on server grade hardware is running just fine.

With that said, if I ever do leave CQC, it will be for a Linux based system most likely running on an ARM based device.

Automate said:
Yes, and I see Android at 51.9 and iOS at 42.8.  iOS is not "dominating"
 I am talking about trends, and you are looking at the current levels. Here is the link expanded:

Apple iOS leads US OS share for the first time since Q4 2012

The latest smartphone sales data from Kantar Worldpanel ComTech, for the fourth quarter of 2014, shows that Apple’s share of sales grew across the US, Europe* and China during the important Christmas period, driven by a strong portfolio of devices.
"In the US, Apple iOS overtook Android for the first time since this time in 2012, albeit by the slimmest 0.1% margin," reported Carolina Milanesi, chief of research at Kantar Worldpanel ComTech. “While the success of the iPhone 6 and 6Plus is unprecedented, this quarter’s performance also points to Apple having its strongest portfolio ever. With a range of devices available at different price points in both contract and pre-pay Apple was able to take advantage of a weaker Android offering at the premium end of the market.”

Throughout the holiday quarter, the iPhone 6 was the best-selling smartphone in the US and was also the most popular smartphone to give as a gift. Samsung retained its number two spot in the vendor chart with the Galaxy S5 which was the second best-selling smartphone.

Across Europe, Android’s share declined by 3.8 percentage points year-on-year to 66.1% while iOS rose by 6.2 percentage points. Great Britain had the biggest impact on the decline as iOS grew its share of sales by 13.1 percentage points compared to this time last year with Samsung, LG and Sony all losing market share both year over year and over the previous quarter. “Italy was the only European market where Android grew,” said Dominic Sunnebo, strategic insight director at Kantar Worldpanel ComTech Europe. “Considering the strong pre-pay market and the wider direct channel it is not a surprise that Android products – with their value for money proposition – continue to appeal to Italian consumers.”

Windows Phone, soon to be Windows 10, had seen some success across Europe in 2013 but continued to struggle in the latest period, recording minimal growth only in France and Germany.

“In Urban China, Apple iOS grew share year-on-year at the expense of Android,” explained Tamsin Timpson, strategic insight director at Kantar Worldpanel ComTech Asia. “While Xiaomi remained the bestselling brand in the latest period, Apple was able to close the gap slightly, growing its share to 21.5% from 19% last year.” Almost a quarter of Chinese consumers who bought an iPhone in the past three months were acquiring their first smartphone, compared to 16.5% for the same period in 2013.

picta said:
 I am not sure what you mean by that. My drive is on the network, but the new laptop cannot seem to access it, while the old one can

Instead of mapping a drive letter you simply specify (for source or destination) a network path.

Something like:

\\machine_name\share_name\file_name

\\machine_name\share_name\folder_name\file_name

and so forth.

Normally you can access any network share without having to dedicate a drive letter to it.

Personally I thought the topic was related to the desktop OS. 

That said hard sales numbers from 2014 show Android mobile phones has passed iPhone in sales (real money) and now dominates the market.

The following statement as best selling and most popular sounds nice and is just a subjective opinion rather than an objective statement.  Hard numbers disprove this anyways.

Throughout the holiday quarter, the iPhone 6 was the best-selling smartphone in the US and was also the most popular smartphone to give as a gift.

The sales of Android OS phones increase has happened exponentially and globally in less than 3 years.

Domestically the market is close; internationally Android outsells Apple XXX times over.

Apple put itself in that position.

That said the under $100 smart phone with all of the bells and whistles is already here. 

Folks will purchase these phones for function and not looks although they are starting to look like iPhones.

We have digressed from the OP topic. I just wanted to give some numbers as an illustration to my suggestion for the future of CQC: linux based server (ideally running on a small factor PC like rPI) + UI on iOS and android will likely appeal to the most folks. Windows on a desktop PC is on its way out.

picta said:
 I am talking about trends, and you are looking at the current levels. Here is the link expanded:

The latest smartphone sales data from Kantar Worldpanel ComTech, for the fourth quarter of 2014

No, you are talking about a single quarter.  Your own link shows that Android has already  re-passed iOS in the 1st quarter of 2015.

Apples always gets a big bump after they release a new phone.  This time they got a bigger bump than usual because they finally caught up with technology and offered a reasonably sized screen.  But long term Android continues to lead over iOS.  

Automate said:
No, you are talking about a single quarter.  Your own link shows that Android has already  re-passed iOS in the 1st quarter of 2015.

Apples always gets a big bump after they release a new phone.  This time they got a bigger bump than usual because they finally caught up with technology and offered a reasonably sized screen.  But long term Android continues to lead over iOS.  
"Across Europe, Android’s share declined by 3.8 percentage points year-on-year to 66.1% while iOS rose by 6.2 percentage points"

“In Urban China, Apple iOS grew share year-on-year at the expense of Android,”

They used Q4 data of 2013 and 2014 to calculate these numbers

I never believed in creative bean counting versus hard numbers relating to this or that. 

Many folks do today though and believe in much of nothing as it sells.

Here I purchased a desktop for each of my children way back when they were about 2-3 years old.

For whatever reason I also played with CRT touchscreens / light pens that were available at the time. 

My children did like playing with the touchscreens much more than the keyboards at the time.

The internet didn't exist as it does today. 

The tablet / phone today is considered the home PC for many folks. 

My grandchildren (2-3 years old) have their own Android tablets today. 

The home pc of yesteryear was mostly used for internet surfing by the average residential home owner.

This is different than the enterprise desktop PC which too has changed over the years. 

Thinking last year had a Microsoft video Skype call while changing the oil on my car waiting in the service area while other party was driving rush hour in Taiwan and using his MS Skype on his mobile phone.  Thinking traffic was at a standstill over there.  I couldn't really do that here though because I prefer not to.  I do have skype/cam, VR, steering wheel control installed on the car PC and the car pc does have an LTE connection today.

Back