What is wrong with CQC?

I'm not sure if that's totally relevant to us, since it's for their 'universal apps' type programs, which we aren't and won't likely ever be. Our management tools are about as far from 'apps' as you can get I guess. Though, I'll certainly read through it for ideas. For me personally, I think that it's not appropriate to make what are essentially development tools for (at least somewhat, worst case) more technical users overly fancy, with excessive graphics and animated transitions and such. I think that stuff applies more to the things that you use those tools to build. For the folks using development/design type tools, by the hundredth time you've waited for a slide out to slide out, it's just getting annoying.

Anyway, I just wanted to stress that what we are dealing with here are the development tools. The IV, which is where our actual end user graphical touch screen interfaces run, are completely different, and fully graphical so they can be about as fancy as you want to take the time to make them.

I'm glad you characterized it as a development tool because now we can return to my comparative example of Visual Studio. VS lets you click on a tree item and open its contents for editing as seen in this video clip:

https://youtu.be/lEI9mxYpcS8?t=5m5s

It does let you open for edit via double click. But how does it work if you install a source control system? I'm guessing you then don't get it open for edit with a double click but have to explicitly ask to edit it and otherwise you only view it? 

Or maybe it asks you upon double click what you want to do I guess. In that case a double click would be OK for both 'standard' and 'version controlled' modes.

Just an FYI, only a few more days left on the sale...

I finally got what I think is a fairly reasonable write up of how to set up Echo support. It's not a trivial undertaking, given the nature of the Echo and it's cloud based orientation, and the requirement to then make two hops (out from the echo and back in to your CQC system), but it's not too crazy. Here's the document:

http://www.charmedquark.com/Web2/Downloads/Documents/4_8/AmazonEcho_4_8.pdf

Dean Roddey said:
Just an FYI, only a few more days left on the sale...

I finally got what I think is a fairly reasonable write up of how to set up Echo support. It's not a trivial undertaking, given the nature of the Echo and it's cloud based orientation, and the requirement to then make two hops (out from the echo and back in to your CQC system), but it's not too crazy. Here's the document:

http://www.charmedquark.com/Web2/Downloads/Documents/4_8/AmazonEcho_4_8.pdf
Nice.

BTW, your website says your sale expires "Tuesday, October 15."  I asume you meant "Thursay, October 15"?  I just wish it wasn't the the same day that tax extensions are due.   :(  Oh well, I guess maybe next year.

Do you count echo as a client or as a driver in your tiered pricing schema?

Also, in terms of nomenclature, if I have, say, 50 z-wave switches that are the same model, does that count as 1 driver, or 50?

Oops, cypherin wasn't never my strong point... Oh well, I'll only be wrong one more day. 

The Echo isn't either a client or driver. 

Z-Wave is just one driver, as is anything like that (Elk, Omni, RA2, ISY, etc...)

Here's another preview video for the 5.0 UI. This one is for the device driver management stuff. This is just a quick an dirty demo of how it works. It's much, much cleaner than before.

http://www.charmedquark.com/Web2/PostImages/5_0Previews/NewUIPreview10.wmv

That was the biggest remaining chunk of functionality, AFAIK. I may come on something I've not thought about later, but it was a big remaining chunk however it's ciphered. The goal is to work on things that are required for a basic workable system, and this was certainly the biggest remaining bit of that. So now it's on to finishing off the interface designer bits and some other medium and smallish bits required for creating a working system from scratch, then I can get it into the hands of some folks to play around with and provide feedback.

Just came to this topic and while its probably been well documented at this point, I have a question that might bring a new perspective or way at looking at CQC benefits and shortcomings.

What would you say are the key differences between Irule and CQC. Irule is becoming very popular, has added many HA protocols to its software, and while its limited graphically, it seems to provide enough from a UI perspective to keep a DIYers happy. Be specific as possible.

It has built-in modules for with nest, Lutron RA2 & Smart bridge, leviton z wave and HAi Omni, Phillips Hue, ISY, vera, radio thermostat, Foscam Ip cams, Hunter Douglas, Denon/marantz, onkyo, sonos, HTD,

Derek

I think the differences are night and day.   But I don't think this thread is here to discuss iRule.  If you want to talk about it's pro's and con's or market iRule maybe you should start a separate thread.

Dean,

You should create a channel and start using Youtube for videos.  Much easier for people to watch and for all your videos to be in one place for users/sales.
Downloading a file to watch is sooooo yesterday  :p

My thinking was that from Deans initial question, he prompted a huge discussion on CQC and some of its problems, however, I felt that the thread became quite general to someone who had no experience with CQC. After reading through the whole thread, I think (and I may be wrong), that the general feedback was the presence of incomplete drivers and a very high learning curve.

I wan't trying to specifically discuss Irule, but from say someone who has not used CQC, vs the hundreds if not thousands of people that use Irule (or even the lesser capable Roomie remote), and find it very easy, I thought it might be useful if specific examples between the two would help to explain (in simple language) the issues with CQC and how it could be made better.

For example, (and correct me if I'm wrong if my statement in incorrect), here's how would would phrase the comments
1. CQC allows for user generated images to be imported and used whereas irule only allows stock images.

Now, maybe Dean has heard enough, but from someone not yet into HA (although I do it at work with industrial test equipment and am hoping to in the near future)), I found that the discussion became more of a ... "user says one thing and dean counter points", leaving it very ambigous

Also, it may not have been intentional, but i think many people will see Deans post in search results for HA software, and will be encouraged by the possibility of learning by CQC's specific features of what it can do, can't do and could do better and thus decide to use it or not (I know I did)

Irule is a user interface (last time I looked). CQC can be used as a user interface (although I don't use it for that), For media interfaces, it's hard to beat iHeartRadio, or Emby, or Roku, etc. 

For me, CQC is the ultimate If-This-Then-That, which is instant, reliable, and capable of interfacing with almost anything. I primarily use the http trigger, which lets me talk to CQC through a simple web page, or through Tasker and AutoVoice. 

As for learning curve, I think that will flatten substantially when Dean releases the latest version. I wish I knew when that will be. Also, I agree about the YouTube or Vimeo channel.

I use some obscure stuff and I have never seen HA drivers except in CQC. e.g:
Avatrix Matrix Switcher
Centralite Jetstream

Back