What kind of wire for the elk battery, ac module/transformer

Pcarfan

I think almost all of the elk components I got came with the wires for installation. The battery and the ac module/transformer didn't come with it. What kind of wire do I need for this? And how do I cover/seal the connection so there is no exposed wire at the joint?

Thanks!

What is often done for this is to use 4 conductor, 22 awg cable that is used for 4 wire devices like motion sensors and parallel 2 conductors for each connection.  The screws on the transformer are typically exposed screws.  Nothing is typically done to cover them.  They are low voltage so not a shock hazard.  Only time I think this would be an issue is if the outlet has a metal cover plate.

Something is wrong or missing in the OP's post.

Jim's post is incorrect.

The M1 comes with battery leads attached. They have .250 insulated Faston tabs for the battery connection.

The transformer should use 18 AWG cabling as a minimum. You should never use a 4/22, even doubled up, for AC power connections. It's the wrong way to do it. Also, read page 10 of the installation manual for the M1...all spelled out there.

DELInstallations said:
Something is wrong or missing in the OP's post.

Jim's post is incorrect.

The M1 comes with battery leads attached. They have .250 insulated Faston tabs for the battery connection.

The transformer should use 18 AWG cabling as a minimum. You should never use a 4/22, even doubled up, for AC power connections. It's the wrong way to do it. Also, read page 10 of the installation manual for the M1...all spelled out there.
Thanks!

Page 10 says to use 16 to 18 gauge minimum wire for the transformer. I should have looked it up.

I now see the battery leads attached to the m1 board too. I should have looked at these more carefully before posting this question.

Thank you!

Back