What's the #$@#$ point??

I saw a show (link below) a few months back about white slavery in the US. These two underage girls, cousins, got kidnapped and forced into prostitution. A couple of weeks later, the cops arrested one of the girls at a truck stop one night but the pimp got away with the other girl. They returned the girl to the mother and uncle (other girl's father) and on the way home she told them how to find the house they were being held at. They drove there immediately and called 911. The other girl was in the house, with the pimp and other hookers, parents outside, and they waited for a long time with something like 3 phone calls to 911. Needless to say the father took things into his own hands and went in with a crow bar, the girl got away, the father got beat pretty bad in the front yard by the pimp and the other hookers, with a rock to the head. After several more 911 calls from neighbors, the police finally showed up, after the ambulance.

So I guess it depends on where you live, but it seems you can't necessarily count on the police showing up promptly even in an emergency.

http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=5374277

Thats called entry delay which is part of fixing his stuff, as mentioned.

I do have an entry delay on most doors, but not the back door since we never enter from there. It is set to set off the alarm immediately (you know, in the event that it gets kicked in again). But, every couple of months or so, we set the alarm to stay mode while we are home, a couple hours later, we've forgotten the alarm is set and let the kid outside and BLAM! alarm going off...

i do like the idea of having extra blasters go off after 30 seconds. how would i hook those up to the elk? and what would the rule look like to do so?

I was definitely thinking about that for the alarm closet... I don't know about other areas - sounds like a lot of you have basements with mechanical rooms, etc - but in N. Cali, there's no basements - and it's basically standard practice to put structured wiring and alarm panels in the Master closet - that's just where everyone puts them, so it'd be easy for the thieves to run straight to there to try to disable things...

So - I was thinking about putting a couple screamers in the closet so that it's so damn distracting that it's hard to shuffle around the room behind the clothes to figure out exactly where the panel is... and maybe even throw one more inside just for good measure, so if you get the box open, there's one more blast...

Also thought about throwing a few inside my truck (Suburban)... You think you're being slick working just through the window (like they did a few months ago), but you get too close to the dash and trigger the motion sensor, which triggers the screamers in-side... That'd be fun to see what they do to themselves in the process of trying to get out!

As far as the 30-second delay, I'm sure you can create a rule in the Elk to wait the 30 seconds, then open an output or trigger a relay which will connect your screamers up to a 12VDC power source... at least that's what I'm trying. The warning alarm comes through the keypad speakers, but if it takes you too long, the screamers go off. I tested them @ my house - you barely need an outdoor siren - the screamers going together are so loud they get your attention. And for as cheap as they are, with such low power consumption, you can put them anywhere.

As someone who has to respond to alarm calls, I've learned a few things about how the monitoring/dispatch service works. What I've found is the delay is usually on the alarm company side. When the alarm goes off, they call several of the key holders to see if they should call the police. Almost always, their call list is out of date and they waste 10 minutes making the calls. Then they write something up or enter a computer message and send it to another person telling them to call the police. If you ask when they called the police, they give you the time that request was created, not the actual time of the call. I've never figured out why it takes them so long to place the call, but the only excuse I can think of is the volume of calls they are getting.

Once the 911 center gets an alarm call, they prioritize it amongst every other incoming call. I assume most agencies would probably handle them similarly. They rank above complaints about barking dogs, parking and probably complaints about identity theft or bad checks but below traffic crashes, fights, shoplifters being held by store security, etc. Normally if an officer in that section of the city/county is going to become available in the near future, they will hold the call for them instead of dragging one over from the other side of the city. Most agencies won't have there officers respond lights and sirens because 99% are false and it doesn't justify the risk. That's always a tough call to make, which is a real alarm and which is false, lots of time it comes down to a gut feeling on the officers part. Becoming complacent on the officers part can have bad outcomes if it turns out to be a real alarm.

Most departments have a policy to send two officers to an alarm call, but in reality that doesn't often happen. In your scenario, I am surprised the officer searched the house by himself, normally they would wait for a second officer to do that. Most of the time, you arrive at the house/business and all the doors and windows are secure and the owners are not responding so your done. Normally the bigger the business, the less chance of a key holder responding to let you in. This normally doesn't upset us too much, because who wants to search Home Depot at 3 in the morning with two officers. You could hide a small army in there and probably not find them. When you are searching a building is where we can see the big delay in reporting from the alarm companies. We are usually done searching the building before the alarm companies call to say they received additional trips.

Please indulge me in a chance to rant a bit. I hate key holders that don't respond even when the police call them and tell them we would like them to come because they want to be able to get in for some reason. Another is alarm companies who won't call the key holders for 30 minutes on a panic alarm. I understand the rational in that they don't want the owners interrupting a crime in progress, but if the police call, say they are at the business and need someone to respond, I would think it's safe enough for someone to get called. Another favorite is the people who intentionally set off the alarm to time the response or to call the police for some other reason (neighbors dog barking, etc). And my personal favorite is the person who is mad that police responded to the alarm and woke them up or walked through the building when an open door is found. If they don't want police response, don't call.

Sorry for the long post.

Well, for the back door, could you set some rules so that if the door closes again within, say, 10 seconds of being open, then no big deal? I wouldn't think that most thieves, especially kicking in doors, would worry about closing the door behind them, would they? Plus, it'll help teach your kids not to leave the door open and let all the air out. ;)

As someone who has been burglarized twice, there is nothing more disconcerting than coming home to a ransacked house. Well actually there is, waking up to a ransacked first floor.

At this point, I accept the fact that I have a lot of stuff, and some people want my stuff. They can have it, if they really want it, and can get by the barriers I have set up like better doors and windows, an alarm system, etc.

What still sends shivers up and down my spine, is knowing that someone violated my home while we slept. Now I get the #$@#$# point. Its not about when we are not home, it is for when we are.

As someone who has been burglarized twice, there is nothing more disconcerting than coming home to a ransacked house. Well actually there is, waking up to a ransacked first floor.

At this point, I accept the fact that I have a lot of stuff, and some people want my stuff. They can have it, if they really want it, and can get by the barriers I have set up like better doors and windows, an alarm system, etc.

What still sends shivers up and down my spine, is knowing that someone violated my home while we slept. Now I get the #$@#$# point. Its not about when we are not home, it is for when we are.
I agree geekinc. I also believe my alarm system is more valuable when I'm home than when I'm not, for the exact reasons you stated. :eek:

I do have an entry delay on most doors, but not the back door ... It is set to set off the alarm immediately ... But, every couple of months or so,... we've forgotten the alarm is set and... and BLAM! alarm going off...
Our rear door is programmed the same way, but my wife and I feel no need for arming in stay mode so we haven't experienced this problem. However, I appreciate the fact that one can easily forget the system is armed. Perhaps if you put a status LED next to the door it could indicate the alarm state and serve as a gentle reminder not to open the door.

well, at least it would keep the kid from doing it... and for me, it could make an announcement that the alarm is on and don't open the damn door.

I like the idea of the delayed screamers inside the house...

Are you talking about something like this??

BTW - I have little hooks mounted on doors I don't want the kids to accidentally open. They are big enough now that they could easily open it themselves, but its a good reminder that the alarm is probably on...

Steve, how do you have those connected? to what output? how many? in series or in parallel? i'm not familiar with electrical stuff at all, so i don't know about amps and watts and what not...

Back