politics123

Hey --

So, I have a house that includes:
1) ceiling fans
2) normal light fixtures with incadescent lights
3) normal light fixtures with CFLs
4) normal light fixtures with dimmable CFLs
5) hardwired flourescent fixtures
6) prewired lines for under/over cabinet lights in the kitchen (we were thinking a xenon or halogen option)

Within the Vizia RF line, Leviton sells standard dimmers and switches, magnetic low-voltage dimmers, and electronic low-voltage switches. Which applications require which switches?

My take:
1) ceiling fans (15amp switch)
2) normal light fixtures with incadescent lights (normal dimmer)
3) normal light fixtures with CFLs (normal switch)
4) normal light fixtures with dimmable CFLs (normal dimmer)
5) hardwired flourescent fixtures (not sure??)
6) prewired lines for under/over cabinet lights in the kitchen (we were thinking a xenon or halogen option) (not sure?)

Opinions or thoughts?

Thanks!

you have a link to either of the low voltage devices? I don't see anything on there website i nthe main vizia rf pages...

If by low voltage we're talking the ability to control outdoor landscape lighting (and not flourescents), that would be killer... Would save me some wiring expense...

I still want a 20 amp relay though!

-brad

you have a link to either of the low voltage devices? I don't see anything on there website i nthe main vizia rf pages...

If by low voltage we're talking the ability to control outdoor landscape lighting (and not flourescents), that would be killer... Would save me some wiring expense...

I still want a 20 amp relay though!

-brad

Yeah, the leviton site is pretty piss-poor. I took the Vizia RF training course, which mentions the products, but there's no a lot of useful information. I guess licensed Electricians know what the difference between "electronic low-voltage" and "magnetic low-voltage" are.

Anyway, AO has the products listed, FWIW:
http://www.automatedoutlet.com/home.php?cat=299

For the most part, you really shouldn't need magnetic low voltage switches - most dimmers can handle MLV just fine. I would start with the standard dimmers and only switch it if you run into issues.

Both of these switches are designed to dim the high voltage side of a transformer. If you have a magnetic transformer get the magnetic if you have an electronic transformer use the electronic.

If you have an inductive load you probably have a magnetic transformer and as such should use the magnetic switch. This is an induction transformer, it will have a coil of wire around a steel core to induct the LV power from the mains. Bigger, heavier, cheaper.

You can dim say your doorbell which is probably a magnetic transformer with a magnetic LV dimmer.

If your device has a solid state transformer it will be a capacitive load and need the electronic dimmer. Electronic transformers are smaller and more expensive.

Back