Where to get the correct serial cable?

68sting

I just purchased an edgeport usb to serial converter. The edgeport has female connections and the device I need to hook up has a male. The only cables I'm finding have both ends the same.

I just purchased an edgeport usb to serial converter. The edgeport has female connections and the device I need to hook up has a male. The only cables I'm finding have both ends the same.
I'm a little confused. Are you talking between the PC and edgeport's USB ports or the edgeport to serial device 9-pin ports?

I opted to get DB9-RJ45 adapters (both DB9 male and DB9 female adapters - they're only $1 each), and build my own custom-length cables.

Much cheaper, plus I don't have to stress about cable gender. I live in the bay area, we hate any type of gender-centric conversations :D :D :D

I opted to get DB9-RJ45 adapters (both DB9 male and DB9 female adapters - they're only $1 each), and build my own custom-length cables.
This is also a great method and I also use those adapters as well. A little trick, you an take the unused wire/pins and "route" them through the side of the adapter (so they stick out). You can then cut the pins off, solder some extension wire on them, and use them for other peripherals in that area (since there are eight wires on a Cat5e). You do need to purchase DB-9 connectors with solder pins (Rat Shack has them).

For instance I use one Cat5e run from my computer to my wiring closet and run three serial connections to devices such as my Ocelot. For one of the units, I just didn't connect pin 5 (ground) as it was able to pick up that reference from the computer side (ground reference is all the same). Not "optimal" but it worked. :D

Much cheaper, plus I don't have to stress about cable gender. I live in the bay area, we hate any type of gender-centric conversations :D :D :D

IVB, where do you get them for a 1$?

Thanks

Ben

IVB, where do you get them for a 1$?

Thanks

Ben

I'm blanking on exactly where I got it, but a quick google result reveals this site for $2 each.

http://www.nextag.com/rj45-db9-adapter/search-html

Oh yeah, that's the place I used!

I probably stole it off an earlier BSR post...

Back