Which punchdown tools (and related) do you like best?

NeverDie

I have some pre-existing cat5e in the walls on the first floor that's never been hooked up, and I want to capitalize on it now while it's still potentially useful (i.e. before it becomes obsolete).  So, I thought I'd ask which tools/jigs/aids people here especially like for doing the task?

I found a couple on amazon that look promising, but not having done this before, I'm not really sure what to look for:

http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Punch-Krone-Blade-TC-PDT/dp/B0000AZK4D/ref=pd_sim_e_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0KRPTNEP5B3JPPWDSS46

http://www.amazon.com/iMBAPrice%C2%AE-Keystone-Punch-Stand-Quantity/dp/B00GR4KFB2/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1399413344&sr=8-8&keywords=keystone+ethernet

Are they overkill?  Underkill?

Ironically, it was a parallel activity (http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/26534-do-i-need-special-ethernet-cable-for-running-through-a-hot-attic/), where I opted for a tool-less solution, that made me aware that tools and solutions like this were being used.  Prior to that, I had thought specialized crimpers were being used to make the connections, like:

http://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-VDV226-107-Compact-Ratcheting/dp/B00F6K5SY2/ref=pd_sim_hi_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1RPT73GDGQH9XVASMEHH

or

http://deepsurplus.com/Network-Structured-Wiring/Modular-Wiring-Tools-RJ11-12-45/EZ-RJPro-HD-Crimp-Tool

What about cat5e shealthing strippers for removing outer jackets?  Example:
http://www.amazon.com/Aposonic--XCT05-STRIP-Cutter-Stripper-Yellow/dp/B00B73Y82A/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1399416780&sr=1-2&keywords=cat5e+stripper

What about cable/wiring testers?  For example:
http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Network-Cable-Tester-TC-NT2/dp/B0000AZK08/ref=pd_sim_hi_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1N961TSV4RF4YWCAD9DN
Worthwhile?

Any other tools, types of tools, or that reduce errors, catch mistakes, or do things better/faster/cheaper?  Or tips, or tricks that you especially like?

The thread I referenced above also mentions some interesting keystones and patch panels, and since it's all related, I'd be interested in any favorites about those also.

I welcome any and all ideas and suggestions/recommendations.

You're going down the right path.  This is one area where I'll definitely say that the quality of the tools makes a big difference.

In my terminating bag, I keep strippers, d-snips, punchdown (with 66 and 110 blades) and a couple different crimpers - but that is my preferred style (mine is a different brand).  I don't have a keystone holder - but go for it - those buggers hurt your hands after a while.

I can terminate wires faster than a lot of people who do it for a living - process is: Strip the wires, straighten them out and untwist and line them up - then use the d-snips to get a straight line, slide 'em into an RJ45, double check that they stayed in place and check the end to make sure they're pushed all the way in, then crimp & test.  If you're doing jacks then you just follow the pattern on the jack - usually T568B (you'll want to know the difference between T568A and T568B - both are effectively the same as long as both ends match).  Make sure your punchdown is facing the right way and you'll get the feel for pushing the wire in and having it cut off the excess in one shot.

The tester I use is out of the price range for DIY but the monoprice tester is supposed to be pretty full featured.  I also keep a 4-in-1 screwdriver in there at all times... I have a ton of other tools too but those are the basics.

Buy the best RJ 45 crimper you can afford. The ones that work like "scissors" and crimp one side before the second tend to have more issues with poor connections as the pins get crimped at different rates/times and the adjustment on them goes out of whack over time. If you can, get a tool that presses all the pins at the same time rather than the "rocker" style.

I don't take a substitute for a Harris (now Fluke Networks) tool....they're the industry standard and they've been around for decades.

I'd spend for a puck for the keystones before a dedicated size/style unit. Just need to look around.

There's plenty of pin-pin testers that are half the price of the one you linked to. WIthout qualifying the cable (as work alluded to) the continuity test will get you through. If you have issues with a drop, usually the best action for a DIY is to reterminate both ends and try again.

I just bought what Home Depot offered, for the most part.  Has worked out pretty well.

I've been happy with a $20 Paladin/DataShark punch down tool, from Home Depot.

70012.jpg

I've been happy with the Platinum Tools EZRJ45 crimp tool - no bad crimps yet, but some pros dismiss this style of crimper.  It crimps the connector and trims the conductors in one motion.  I've read that some people have trouble with the outside conductors not trimming evenly, but hasn't been an issue for me; maybe the design has changed. I bought mine, I think, from Automated Outlet.

41A187DylhL._SY300_.jpg

This Ideal LinkMaster cable tester has worked great for me, though I don't remember spending $70 on it; I think it was closer to $20 when I bought it, several years ago, at Home Depot:
d91d6eef-10b8-46a4-adf7-f89a3b77e444_300.jpg

This is the Klein cable jacket cutter (radial stripper) I use, for category cables (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-UTP-STP-Radial-Stripper-VDV120-006/100661789), from Home Depot:

Klein-Tools-VDV120-006-SEN-lg.jpg

Speaking of Fluke tools, this is one of the kits I use really often - perfect to clip on your belt when walking around doing terminations:  Fluke IS50 Pro-Tool Kit - and it looks like they now have a IS60 kit that includes a sharpie and maglite - handy when you're crawling under desks and such - I have both in the outside pockets of my other networking bag that I carry when I need a few more tools.

DELInstallations said:
I don't take a substitute for a Harris (now Fluke Networks) tool....they're the industry standard and they've been around for decades.

I couldn't find a link for the Harris tool, so I have no point of reference.  Is it the Fluke DSP-100?

$_57.JPG

DELInstallations said:
Buy the best RJ 45 crimper you can afford. The ones that work like "scissors" and crimp one side before the second tend to have more issues with poor connections as the pins get crimped at different rates/times and the adjustment on them goes out of whack over time. If you can, get a tool that presses all the pins at the same time rather than the "rocker" style.
x_tl379-1_72dpi.jpg

So, I'm guessing this is one you might like?  Not sure,but it may be the same as what neurorad recommended above.  I'm unsure they're the same because I ran across a number of crimpers that claim to be EZ-RJ45, but that seem to function differently.  For instance, a more scissor-like (?) design that also goes by the name EZ-RJ45 is:

92d5-66800.jpg

Last time I checked, there were 2 models of the EZRJ45, the regular and the Pro. Look on the Platinum Tools website.

DEL would not use that, because of the conductor trim issues stated above.

I think by 'scissors', he means a compression tool. I haven't seen any RJ45 crimpers that do not use compression.

I use a stripper similar to drvnbysound for coax but the one that's included in the fluke kit above is what I use most for Cat5 - once you get the feel for it it's pretty reliable - I have at least 3 now, and I've had more in the past that I've either lost at airports or given to my techs.

For crimpers, I like the style I linked above - they have the plug coming out the end instead of the side - it's a single function, not RJ11 and RJ45 - but the crimp is solid with minimal effort and because it's ratcheting you get the same force of crimp 100% of the time.  I believe DEL has said before he didn't like that model but I don't think it's had a single bad crimp ever.  I have another one with the hex dies for coax as well but it doesn't see any use now that I spent money on better coax tools (when I had to take on RG11 I had to upgrade).

Neurorad said:
Last time I checked, there were 2 models of the EZRJ45, the regular and the Pro. Look on the Platinum Tools website.

DEL would not use that, because of the conductor trim issues stated above.

I think by 'scissors', he means a compression tool. I haven't seen any RJ45 crimpers that do not use compression.
This is what I have (multiples of): http://gmptools.com/nf/70630.htm

It presses all 4-6-8 pins at the same time in the plug...the pins receive equal crimp pressure at the same time.

Ones that are like this style: http://www.idealindustries.com/prodDetail.do?prodId=33-700&div=2&l1=kits&l2=kits_twisted_pair
Sequentially crimp the pins and I've experienced poor crimps by others using tools with this design. (think Paladin was one of the worst offenders).

The crimpers that don't press all the pins at the same time, but start on one side then sequentially crimp the plug are always the ones I've found that have issues. The EZ- units (or at least the pro) press all the pins at the same time rather than "rock" through the plug.

Ratcheting crimpers don't cause a good or bad crimp....all they do is force the end user to complete the crimp cycle. That said, some of the better ratcheting units do have a slight adjustment to force the crimp dies to go closer together before the ratchet releases. ;D

The EZRJ45 trims the conductors at the time of the crimp.

Before crimping, the conductors are slid through the connector, allowing the connector to slide all the way onto the jacket, preserving twists.

The cutting is not as clean as with diagonal cutters, and so conductors 1 and 8 may stick out ever so slightly.  That little bit of untrimmed conductor could keep this male connector from sitting firmly in the jack.

Before and after crimping/cutting with the EZRJ45:

after_trimming_100003b.jpg

Again, this is what I use, and I've been happy with it.  No issues for me.

Neurorad said:
The cutting is not as clean as with diagonal cutters, and so conductors 1 and 8 may stick out ever so slightly.  That little bit of untrimmed conductor could keep this male connector from sitting firmly in the jack.

So, are you using diagonal cutters instead, or are you using diagonal cutters to clean up after-the-fact?

I'm leaning toward getting either the crimper you have or the Pro version.  Is it important to use the Platinum Tools' RJ45 clamshells, or will any clamshell do?  I haven't priced alternatives, so I don't know whether they're all about the same or not, but the Platinum Tools' clamshells cost more than I would have guessed.  

Platinum also makes a lower cost unit that, judging from looks only, might be good enough for Cat5e:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ZUORPK/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
It comes with a 10 cat5e clamshells.

I suppose  the main advantage of the EZ and the Pro is that they can upgrade their dies to do other types of cables.  At the moment, the only cables I need to bother crimping are cat5e.  All the better cables I currently have came with the clamshells pre-crimped at the factory.

Are most people here buying clamshells with strain relief combo, or just the clamshells?

Back