Which punchdown tools (and related) do you like best?

Other than the Flukes, most of the network cable testers on amazon got mixed reviews.  Even for just rudimentary functionality, prices are all over the map.  So, I'm toying with the idea of getting a combo tester/tracker.  How useful would it be to have both?  I already have a wire tracker for tracking wires that haven't been terminated.  I could connected a terminated cable to a kind of pigtail and then use my tracker that way (ghetto style), or I is it better to have it more integrated and less ghetto?  Any opinions? I'm not sure how likely I am to ever use it.  Opinions?

This one is $40, and the reviews (not a lot of them unfortunately) were generally favorable:

91FYJJh44NL._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PHCT65-Ethernet-Telephone-Tracker/dp/B005JVAMFI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

NeverDie said:
So, are you using diagonal cutters instead, or are you using diagonal cutters to clean up after-the-fact?

I'm leaning toward getting either the crimper you have or the Pro version.  Is it important to use the Platinum Tools' RJ45 clamshells, or will any clamshell do?  I haven't priced alternatives, so I don't know whether they're all about the same or not, but the Platinum Tools' clamshells cost more than I would have guessed.  

Platinum also makes a lower cost unit that, judging from looks only, might be good enough for Cat5e:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ZUORPK/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
It comes with a 10 cat5e clamshells.

I suppose  the main advantage of the EZ and the Pro is that they can upgrade their dies to do other types of cables.  At the moment, the only cables I need to bother crimping are cat5e.  All the better cables I currently have came with the clamshells pre-crimped at the factory.

Are most people here buying clamshells with strain relief combo, or just the clamshells?

Clamshells... or RJ-45 connectors?

NeverDie said:
Maybe I'm confused about the terminology.  Isn't it a clamshell before being crimped, and a connector after a successful crimping?

http://www.amazon.com/Platinum-Tools-100015-Connector-Clamshell/dp/B0009JCVI6/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1400094063&sr=1-1&keywords=platinum+tools+cat5e+clamshell+15

From what I can tell reading the data sheets on the Platinum Tools web site, "clamshell" refers to the external packaging container that the connectors are packaged in, not the connector itself.  The EZ RJ45 plugs have no clamshell characteristics at all.  They do make jacks that are sort of clamshell like, but they call these SnapJacks, not clamshells.

RAL said:
From what I can tell reading the data sheets on the Platinum Tools web site, "clamshell" refers to the external packaging container that the connectors are packaged in, not the connector itself.  The EZ RJ45 plugs have no clamshell characteristics at all.  They do make jacks that are sort of clamshell like, but they call these SnapJacks, not clamshells.
Thanks for clarifying that.

Meanwhile, DEL was right.   :pray: The connector on a Cat6 got snagged on something in the wall, and the casing split.  I tried fishing it again with the split casing (big mistake), and then apparently the split casing got snagged on something else, and now it's not budging. :angry2:  So, I'll have to cut it loose and start over.   :blush: So, I'll need the die that can do cat6's and not just cat 5e's.  I'm gonna order the Pro and some connectors... 

As above, clamshell is the term used for the plastic packaging. Polybag is another term used for packaging of products for dealers; when the product is just sealed in a plastic bag. Many times manufacturers use these types of packaging to reduce costs for dealers who are installing and reselling the items.

You can also find this sort of difference in computer parts (e.g. from Newegg). Some products such as hard drives are sold as either OEM or Retail packaging, and there is a price difference between the two even if the product itself is identical.

I wouldn't worry about which is C5, C5E or a higher spec...the network is only going to be "compliant" if every piece from end to end has the same level...the sum is no greater than the lesser of all the pieces. Usually the issue is the amount of untwist on the cable and getting the pairs to land properly with the strain relief on the RJ45.

Personally, I use snips to terminate category wiring, but coworkers use a very sharp pair of T-strippers or dikes.

The EZ does not have interchangable dies. WYSWYG.

What's the preferred way to label datacabels?  Is it writing directly on the cable jacket with a black sharpie, or are there better ways?

I've used things like this in the past:

11cryGrBLnL.jpg

but I'm afraid they may get in the way in a higher density keystone application like:

41aCtcKPV3L.jpg

What have people here found works best for labeling/flagging/tagging their cat5/6 data cables in this type of higher density keystone scenario?

As for labeling the keystone outlets on the other side of the wallplate (i.e. as scene from the room), I'm guessing a p-touch label maker or similar is the only thing that makes sense?  At least the above "waffle" wall plate (unlike some that I've seen) seems to leave enough space for labelling between the keystones.

Speaking of which, would p-touch labels stick to the data cable jacket long-term, or would they tend to losen and curl off over time or in the heat?  Perhaps there are special label tapes which don't succumb to those issues?  I've seen label makers that print on vinyl tape and are allegedly designed for electrical work on the electrical aisle at big box stores, similar to:

812JvqdXqpL._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Brady-BMP21-PLUS-Printer/dp/B00IELD1O4/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

but I'm old enough to be skeptical unless others here have already tried them with good results over time.  Some of them even print directly onto heat-shrink tubes.

Tags that hang off will get in the way.  For a commercial space or likely a hired job even I'd label the faceplates, but in a residence, "BR1, BR2, Kitchen, MBR - those sorts of labels work in the wiring closet and don't leave you with tacky labels on your wallplates in your home.  Ever look in commercial spaces where they list the branch number on every 110V receptacle?  Now imagine that in your house?  Generally not necessary.  Or one better is to track them on a floorplan of the house with indicators showing where the wall jack is and what "numbers" are there.  These numbers would apply to their position in the patch panel in the wiring closet.  For me even in commercial spaces I've generally been pretty content having a floorplan to refer to with the jacks labeled on that - tells me everything I need to know when I'm in the wiring closet patching cables.

For labeling, honestly yes - a sharpie on the jacket works until it's landed somewhere semi-permanent on the patch panel.  It's really just to help you keep things straight until terminated.  Now if you're skipping the patch panel and leaving raw RJ45 plugs laying around, labeling is a lot more important.  I use a Rhino - I love the concept but hate the machine... it has shrink-wrap available that'll never come off but obviously you put that on before you terminate the wire - or they have fabric labels and a WRAP mode that repeats the word over and over again all the way around the cable.  I use those for pre-terminated wires (when labeling patch cables usually).

I'm sure others will disagree, but honestly when you're talking about a home with <50 jacks you don't need to go overboard.

Sharpies work, but when it comes to permanent on cabling, the best would be to use printable heat shrink. The Rhino labels do hold up untll the cable is flexed or moved/threaded through bundles etc.

Labels always creep or loose their tackiness over time. The worst starts with electrical tape, then the preprinted "number" style labels/electrical markers (usually on small rolls or by the book) and then the label maker ones on mylar tend to hold up but still creep. Whatever you do don't use masking tape!

I'd still get away from those premade patch cables you seem to be hung up on using.

I'm looking at snapjacks and they seem perfect for what I want to do:  http://www.platinumtools.com/products/705_series.php

4138fBLttuL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Platinum-Tools-EZ-SnapJack-Cat5e-White/dp/B00GFZH0BQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400199499&sr=8-1&keywords=ez-snapjack+cat5e

Seems like it would be less expensive than crimping a connector onto a cat5e cable and then inserting the connector into a female-to-female keystone that's mounted on a wall plate.

I'm surprised there's been little mention of them in this thread.  What's not to like about snapjacks?

Yup here I started to utilize these a few years back.  The Snapjacks were mentioned up a few posts.

Over time had connectivity issues such that I redid the 4-5 of them using a regular crimped on end.

I did one day ask a peer what he used for his house / work network stuff. 

He lent me his bag o network tools and I liked what he was using and just bought the same stuff.

I did start with a cheapie crimper and later on purchased a compression type of crimper and it was much easier.

NeverDie said:
I'm looking at snapjacks and they seem perfect for what I want to do:  http://www.platinumtools.com/products/705_series.php

http://www.amazon.com/Platinum-Tools-EZ-SnapJack-Cat5e-White/dp/B00GFZH0BQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400199499&sr=8-1&keywords=ez-snapjack+cat5e

Seems like it would be less expensive than crimping a connector onto a cat5e cable and then inserting the connector into a female-to-female keystone that's mounted on a wall plate.

I'm surprised there's been little mention of them in this thread.  What's not to like about snapjacks?

I prefer the Leviton keystone's which the category cable terminate directly into:

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibcGetAttachment.jsp?cItemId=qmHEfaP9CXQgHjEv.Gr4yA

pete_c said:
Over time had connectivity issues such that I redid the 4-5 of them using a regular crimped on end.
4-5 out of what number?  Trying to get to the percentage failure rate.  I take it, though, that you would avoid using them in the future?

4-5 out of what number?

This related to the initial "wiring" of the main floor of the two story home using these and single keystone wall plates.  I was in a learning DIY mode at the time so I purchased the snapjacks in bulk as they were reasonably priced at the time.  It actually was the 4-5 that were initially installed then removed when I learned to be able to just crimp the ends.  I figured though that I had already spent the monies on spools of a 1000 feet of cat5e (went to color coding for a time); might as well look granularly at the work stuff.  Thinking at the time; new banks in old buildings...following around the cable guys and asked them to show me exactly the how and what they were doing with their tools et al type of stuff (sort of being a PITA for my own knowledge base)....well they were my projects anyways; so I got a bit granular with it....kind of always been like that....I sat in some classes for welders and learned a bit about using plasma welding machines from some "guru's"....I was so amazed at their skill level (also took a short class with underwater welders - kind of short lifespan with these guys)....remember asking them to build me a support structure for a piece of computer stuff that weighed in at probably over 2000 lbs ...it took some 15 minutes to build my little widget but a whole day to move it as I had to knock down masonary walls to get it where I wanted it....

Back