Who here is using the iAutomate RFID hardware?

It was explained to me at the time that HS did not do the driver, that the iAutomate folks did the driver, because it's pretty complex and involves a lot of data swizzling if you are dealing with the raw data. They couldn't really do that for every system out there, so they were going to provide a hardware box that sits between the readers and the automation system, which would do the swizzling and provide a highly digested version of the data. So there's no protocol or explanation for us to use to deal with the raw devices, whereas the new intermediate box was going to have a defined protocol and would only have to deal with the final 'answers', like badge X is is Y feet from sensor Z or some such thing.

I'm also interested in using iAutomate RFID for use with either Elk or CQC and put off buying it because of the reliability of Homeseer2(Which I'd rather not debate about)and hope one day support comes for the Elk..I think many have moved control of lights and many other things away from Homeseer to the Elk for the reliability alone.

Squintz said:
Peter,

Can you answer the question of when the hardware controller for the RFID will be available. It's really a shame that the only software that supports the device is HomeSeer becuase there are so many (in my opinion better) options out there now that really could use your RFID product.

I am glad to hear you are keeping busy.

P.S. I own three readers and multiple cards and have not been able to use any of them for about a year now. I droped HS when 2.0 was released and have moved on to CQC. What is stoping other programmers such as Dean from writing their own software interface for the devices. They are RS485/RS232 correct? Could you not provide some documentation for them so that they could support your devices them selves?
Squintz,
You want to sell that RF "stuff"?

I also have not purchased it because I have moved away from Homeseer as well. I have also not be able to propose as a solution to customers due to the Software Support limitations. I am sure once you are able to support multiple Controllers your sells would increase pretty fast.

You guys that still have a valid HomeSeer license should give it a try again. Since the move to the 2.0 .net libraries the versions have become much more stable.

As far as RFID, I just wish this RF technology would get a bit cheaper but I guess that will not happen until it becomes main stream. In the mean time I'm testing the new Fingerprint reader and it should work just fine for entry using power door locks. Another finger could be used to arm/disarm the alarm.

Rupp said:
You guys that still have a valid HomeSeer license should give it a try again. Since the move to the 2.0 .net libraries the versions have become much more stable.
Don't get me wrong Rupp I used Homeseer on and off for years and never really chatted much on the forums during that time...when 2.0 was announced instead of upgrading I purchased a whole package with Zwave modules and the modem kit and thought things would be grand and immediately I seen so many troubles week after week and when these troubles happen its not HomeSeer Staff the wife is harping on its me.

I'm sure Homeseer will be stable again one day but personally I have moved on for now and found I can do virtually everything I need with CQC and the Elk once I move into my new house in a few months..about the only thing I will probably miss is getting email2sms messages from Homeseer when certain events happen but I'm sure CQC will have this built in soon enough as myself and others have requested it.

I've been wanting RFID ever since I visited Pauls website(sbssmarthomes.com) and seen everything he had done with his system but I held off in the hopes iAutomate will indeed offer RFID support for the Elk and if I have to wait another year so be it..I'd rather have it running on a reliable platform than on something that has given me so many problems I don't even like bringing it up.

*Oh and another thing that I might miss someday without Homeseer is the Hockey script that lets me know when the next Oilers game is and lets me know an hour before game time that a game is on :)

Ripper,
I can't blame you for wanting a stable platform for your home automation. Having been a HomeSeer veteran I knew that HS 2.0 would have major growing pains so I maintained my HS 1.7.43 install along side my HS 2.1.X install and still do till this day. I now have just about everything moved over to HS 2.1.X except for 3 plugins that I wrote and I just too lazy to convert them. The nice thing is HS2.1.x is now as stable as my HS1.7 install so hopefully I will get the gumption to finally convert my plugins so I can retire my HS 1.7 server.

Back