Whole house speech recognition

ddxfish

I post here once and a while about Speech Recognition and its application to home automation.

I finally found a working method for using it around my house.

My setup is Vista, with SAPI 5.3, a MagicJack, a cordless phone, and a headset.

I plug the magic jack in, and it launches its software-- i then stop the software for magicjack (when you pick up the phone now, no dial tone)

In vista, i right click my volume icon and go to recording devices. I then choose 'handset' as my default device and start the speech recognition engine.

The accuracy is over 95% for speech recognition. Much better than my bluetooth headset, and also better than my AM-100 (which works well also).

Hope this helps someone, and if anyone knows an easier method Im all ears!

For those that like hacking around with stuff, Misterhouse has speech recognition:

http://misterhouse.sourceforge.net/

You can place mics around your house, and have a keyword to start it listening. If you're a Trekkie, you'd naturally use "computer" for your keyword. So you can give it commands like "Computer, Kitchen Lights, 50%"

There's a hardware list on the site of what equipment you would need. But it's better than walking around with a headset. In reality, you could program the whole system to do everything with voice, negating the need for touchscreens. It's pretty flexible.

Back