Whole House Surge Protector

RandyKnight

Just rememberd I need to get my whole house surge protector ordered so the electricians can install it next week when they trim out. I'm looking at the Levition 51120-1 on SmartHome.com.

Questions:

1. I have two panels in the garage near the service entry. I think they're 160amps each. Have to ask the electrician about that one for sure. Do I need two of these units?

2. Are the units rated at all in terms of the size of the service (amps) or does that matter?

In case you're wondering, I have a 100 amp subpanel in my RV Garage / shop which is why I need that much service. :)

In case you're wondering, I have a 100 amp subpanel in my RV Garage / shop which is why I need that much service
2x 160 amp? Is that all? :) I've got 2x 200 amp. And no, I won't say how much my monthly electric bill is. :eek:

Do I need two of these units?
Yes

Are the units rated at all in terms of the size of the service
No

Also, the units should be mounted as close to the point that power enters the panel as possible, so make sure the electrician reserves two breaker positions at the top of each panel.

I have also been considering the Leviton whole house surge supressor. Does anyone know if these impact X10/Insteon signals. My main service entrance and disconnect panel is in the garage and I would probably have the surge surprssor mounted there. Its about a 50ft run from there to my main breaker panel in the basement.

Just a thought. My local electric coop will install a surge arrestor in our meter fitting for something like $7 a month. They guarantee no damages from surges. I have not taken this service, but it's something to consider.

carry15 said:
Just a thought. My local electric coop will install a surge arrestor in our meter fitting for something like $7 a month. They guarantee no damages from surges. I have not taken this service, but it's something to consider.
Unfortunately mine does not have them. It's a smaller rural co-op so maybe that's why.

The Leviton units get along fine with X10. Don't know about Insteon, but I suspect it would be okay also.

Back