Why you DO NOT want IR on the camera.

Show us a clip of what that would have looked like without IR? What I have experienced is it is a choice of looking at things that are too black, or in this video, too white.

At least with too white, you saw there was a guy there and have several details on him despite his face being washed out. Perhaps another camera without IR by a door or something could have picked up his face, but for that location, I like that the whole area is lit up.

The other thing I like out having IR is if you have proper floodlights, they will turn the IRs off when they turn on, so you don't have the IR problems, but when the floods are off, you can still see everything like it was lit up. I actively watch my cameras, so they are not just for identification, they comfort me in that I see every little thing going on outside, and with non-IR low light B&W CCDs, I mostly just saw black until the floods kicked on and you just never knew what you were really seeing as you struggled to make out dark shapes, etc...

I know there are all kinds of different needs and senerios, some IR is really bad, I agree with you on that. I think there are some senerios that it is really cool and maybe a mix of IR cameras and LL B&Ws make a good mix.

Vaughn

Keep in mind I am only talking about IR on the camera not IR in general. You can make IR work for you without trouble just the on-the-cam setups usually if not all suck. For less $ this guy could have had at least some kind of image, as it sits you have no chance of finding that guy. Of course there are other issues with that clip but the IR is the standout totally ruining a decent shot.

To me this is like a smoke detector that only senses burning paper, sure it's better then nothing at all but...

IR+BW or IR+24hour is the only good mixes. :D

EDIT:

That clip also shows the effect of digital slow shutter, it makes the still images look like a LL BW but when the guy starts walking you'll notice motion blur that would make this worthless even if the IR wasn't present.

is that dues to the IRs on the camera providing too much light? not enough?

Also, what happens when you use an IR camera with an IR emitter?

is that dues to the IRs on the camera providing too much light? not enough?

It is because the incedent beam of the IR is parallel with the light being reflected back to the camera.

Too much IR would look very similar.

Also, what happens when you use an IR camera with an IR emitter?

Several correct answers to this question depending on what you mean by IR camera.

Thermal IR cameras work totally different and are not being discussed.

Camera with IR on it will see more IR then before, the the optics aren't IR corrected it will have more focus shift.*

Camera with IR capability and IR added will see IR.

*Most color bullet cams have an IR filter fixed infront of the imager, if this is present IR will not be as pronounced. When I say 24 hour I am talking about a camera that physically moves that filter out of the way for night use. Black and white cameras usually do not have this filter to begin with as IR sensitivity effects color representation. Most Day/Night cameras use a half filter that lets some IR through and doesn't totally botch the color, these are far inferior to 24 hour and black and white when it comes to IR and night viewing.

I don't see the problem. That is clear evidence of a ghost walking up someones driveway. Line up 5 ghosts in a police station and I'll pick this one out every time...

I couldn't agree more, I am on my 2nd bullet cam with built in IR, and I will never do this again. External IR pods, or floodlights that be controlled by several motion sensors will be my next setup.

I also do not see the problem. I mean you can tell the guy is wearing shorts, what else do you need to know? :D

Can you turn off the IR if it is built into the camera? Were is the best location to place a stand alone IR flasher? 90 degrees off the camera plane?

I'm just considering camera placements, hence the questions. What I'll probably do is just get Collin to work up a plan for me. Hopefully it won't be an arm and a leg to do.

If the only light source in that clip had been on the camera, then wouldn't Mr. Short's shadow have pointed directly away from the camera?

Back