Will USI-960 Smoke Relay work with Elk M1

johnnynine

I have USI Electric USI-1204 Smoke Detectors in my home which are 120V 3 wire detectors - when one goes off they all go off.

USI provides a Relay which has Normally Open and Normally Closed wiring that I think I can use with the Elk M1.

It looks to me like I should be able to wire an elk m1 zone to the normally closed or open wires on the relay, can anyone please confirm this?

Here is the relay manual.

I basically want the elk to know when the smoke detectors are going off.

Thanks,
Johnny

I think you can but.............. you will be mixing Mains voltages and a power limited circuit in the same electrical box. The NEC has some limitations on this to prevent the accidental crossover of the mains voltage to the power limited wiring which could be a shock and/or fire hazard.

I am not saying that it is impossible but it will be difficult I think.

FYI: I ordered an ESL350CX smoke detector from Worthingtons (around $50). I'm just going to replace one of my existing six detectors with this one as it also provides relay contacts which will activate when any of those smoke detectors go off.

BraveSirRobbin said:
FYI: I ordered an ESL350CX smoke detector from Worthingtons (around $50). I'm just going to replace one of my existing six detectors with this one as it also provides relay contacts which will activate when any of those smoke detectors go off.
Does the ESL350CX work in conjunction with all the other smoke detectors, or is it on it's own? I want to make sure that no matter which one goes off, the elk is notified.

johnnynine said:
BraveSirRobbin said:
FYI:  I ordered an ESL350CX smoke detector from Worthingtons (around $50).  I'm just going to replace one of my existing six detectors with this one as it also provides relay contacts which will activate when any of those smoke detectors go off.
Does the ESL350CX work in conjunction with all the other smoke detectors, or is it on it's own? I want to make sure that no matter which one goes off, the elk is notified.
The way I believe it works is if one goes off they all go off, including this one. That's the main reason I got it as I wanted to incorporate my current six detectors in my system without a lot of effort and modifications.

I found this from a fellow Cocooner (can't remember who right now).

EDIT: It was bmil and HERE is the post.

FYI: The M1 is UL listed for System Sensor Smoke Detectors.

It would be better to put up some system smoke detectors made for the application even though other solutions may electrically work.

I do not compromise on fire safety.

I have 10 or more smoke detectors, so if I can get away without replacing them, that would be ideal for the budget.

Back