Smoke detector questions

Ira

I'm guessing the answers vary depending on location, but does the Elk M1G, when used with the appropriate 2-wire or 4-wire smoke detectors, fit the definition of "hardwired smoke detectors"? Also, might as well ask... what about an Elk M1G with only Elk 2-way wireless smoke detectors?

I don't have an AHJ to ask as I am building outside city limits, and the county doesn't have anything to say about it, e.g., no construction inspections.

Thanks,
Ira

I built a home in the country similar to yours 7 years ago and satisfied myself that it did satisfy the requirement. In some ways it exceeds the requirement of a 110v hardwire system because it has the ability to call the fire department. However, if you sell your house to someone and they don't maintain the Elk system, they could become unprotected.

I built a home in the country similar to yours 7 years ago and satisfied myself that it did satisfy the requirement. In some ways it exceeds the requirement of a 110v hardwire system because it has the ability to call the fire department. However, if you sell your house to someone and they don't maintain the Elk system, they could become unprotected.
I have walked in to client homes where that has happened. The security system is turned off so none of the smoke detetctors work. The client sees them on the ceiling and assumes they are working.

Back