wire route/placement issues

jlokanis

I have a quick question about wire routing. I know that you should never run your low voltage wire near your AC lines. If you must cross paths, do so at 90deg.
My questions are: can all low voltage be run together (coax, cat5, speaker, security) wihtout interfearance?

If you do come close to some AC lines, how close is too close? I have noticed that the electrician ran some stuff that comes within 6" of my low-V runs and parallels them for about 8" before turning away. Will that be ok?

Are door/window contact sensors susceptable to AC interferance or can I safely run those near the AC lines?

Thanks,

-John

jlokanis said:
My questions are: can all low voltage be run together (coax, cat5, speaker, security) wihtout interfearance?

If you do come close to some AC lines, how close is too close? I have noticed that the electrician ran some stuff that comes within 6" of my low-V runs and parallels them for about 8" before turning away. Will that be ok?
Most low voltage stuff plays OK together except 70V PA lines (which are not technically low voltage anyway). Sometimes have phone or intercom lines next to speaker lines from a high pwer amp can result in a little crosstalk.

6" away and parallel for only 8" should not cause you any problems.

Are door/window contact sensors susceptable to AC interferance or can I safely run those near the AC lines?
Although as a rule I don't like running anything near AC, this probably wouldn't be an issue.

Since it is inevitable that a low voltage wire will run in some proximity to a AC power wire the mfg's of the security panels design them for this scenerio. If the panel is UL Listed they also do an AC Induction test on each input/output to the system to make sure it does not affect operation.

For saftey reasons as well you dont want to run the AC and LV wiring together (not that I havent seen it done in real life). The National Electrical Code has guidelines for that as well.

. . . simple on/off type LV (24V HVAC control, mag contacts, etc) should not be affected . . . it's where there is a varying signal (speakers, analog sensors) on the wire that matters most . . .

Pete C

Back