Wired Motion Detectors

harleydude

Now that summer is winding down and my kids are headed back to school, I am now finding the time to get back to more HA related projects. One thing that I would like to do is add motion detectors to my Elk setup. Does anyone have any comments on the following detector?

Pet Immune Motion Detector

I have a small cat and dog that roam the house throughout the day and would like to avoid detection of them as much as possible.

Thanks

How high would you mount these? I found most motions only went to 8 feet. Sometimes you have to go over furniture or something which pushes it a bit higher. I have been testing these that AO just started selling. They have a nice blue LED that matches KP2s and stuff. They also are rated to 9 feet and I'm testing them at 10.

Without losing complete sensitivity, the higher you go and the higher the up angle the more pet immunity you will get. Even with the higher height and less steep angle it would be hard for a bad guy to carry off stuff while crawling on his belly.

It is important to consider your pets. I have a persian cat with very long hair that shields the body heat from the PIR detector. She have never triggered any of my non-PET inmune motion detectors. So fur, in addition to pet size affect the PET sensitivity.

Well both my pets are pretty small, dog < 20lbs and cat < 10lbs. However both like to lay on top of the back of our couches, which will elevate them to about 3 feet from the floor. I guess at the price I'm sure it would not hurt (too much) to get one of each and try them out.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have one pet inmune PIR pointing to the stairs from the side (open metal stairs), so the cat walks every height from floor level to 8 feet. It is a Visonic, but I dont remember the model.

The other difficult one is a ITI wireless (not PET inmune) that I have at 6 feet pointing almost 30 degress down. This is not set as an alarm as I use it for automation at my child's room. I checked with the cat and it didnt trigger the sensor neither. But again, it helps that my cat is more fur than flesh.

Also, Martin gave me a good idea - use a curtain detector and mount it around waist high. That should keep a really clean pet alley.

Steve said:
How high would you mount these? I found most motions only went to 8 feet. Sometimes you have to go over furniture or something which pushes it a bit higher. I have been testing these that AO just started selling. They have a nice blue LED that matches KP2s and stuff. They also are rated to 9 feet and I'm testing them at 10.
I like the blue LED on these detectors :)

My dog is 100+lbs, so I use the DualTec motions sensors with 100lbs pet immunity. Haven't had a false alarm yet caused by the dog with these sensors. I think I paid about ~$20 each. The use a combination of both PIR and K-Band microwave.

3DogKnight said:
Are motion sensors available that are no so obtrusive?

Also, JeffX, which model of DualTec did you get?
Visonic makes the Clip and Spy series which is very small and unobtrusive, but this line is not pet friendly.

If you happen to be on pier and beam(or have a basement), dont rule out the Sure-Action Pulsars. They mount on the joists under the floor and the sensitivity can be set so that pets cant set them off. The best part is that they are completely hidden!

Martin at AO hooked me up with mine and I love them!

Ty

If you happen to be on pier and beam(or have a basement), dont rule out the Sure-Action Pulsars.

So, I assume that you install these beneath "choke points", like doorways and hallways in order to insure the intruder actually steps on them.

Also, can other vibrations set them off (Home theater woofer, thunder, etc)?

Upstate is right, they are strain gauges not vibration.
I put them in doorways but depending on how sensitive you have them set, they can cover a fairly large area. Almost too big to jump over. I really think you would have a hard time not setting it off.

Ty

Back