Wireless Audio

GadgetBoy

Need a quick and easy (and hopefully cheap) solution to wirelessly transmit audio from a PC to a stereo receiver.

Need it for my parent's house and would rather not crawl around run wires. The PC is in one room and the receiver is in the next room over.

Any thoughts before I begin a Google search?

Thanks in advance,
GB

Linksys WMB54G Wireless-G Music Bridge

i have one and it works fine I have it as a Zone in J-River Media Center.

It shows up as an extra audio card in your PC and you can stream music to it

The box has RCA and Toslink Optical outputs.

Looks like $90 for the unit.

Very cool product - I never saw one before (but I have all amplifiers in one room in the house, so I really wouldn't need it). Saves the hassle of trying to install multiple cards as well (or one could just purchase a Delta M410 card, which I also have).

Anything cheaper?

i use an Apple Airport Express in bridge mode since it could be used as a router.
it has a mini stereo / optical jack output that connects to your stereo
you can use itunes on your pc, and simply send the audio to the airport express. so there is no sound card involved or drivers on the pc side.

Dad is using Windows Media Player to play MP3s. Thinking it might just make sense to get him a long 1/8" plug extension and a splitter, as well as a 1/8" to RCA right+left splitter and just route it along the baseboard from one room to the next, punching a small hole in the wall. I was hoping there might be a cheap-o wireless solution.

The simplest solution could be using Windows 7's PlayTo feature with any Digital Media Adapter (DMA, DMR).

Check DLNA's website for more info. They have simple and nice Product Search where you select what features you are interested in (Music, Pictures, Video, etc) and they will find all compatible products.

For example, I use WD TV Live HD Media Player (~$100) to stream Music (local MP3 + Pandora, Deezer, etc), video and photos to my AVR/HDTV in the living room from Windows Home Server or from any shared folder on PCs/Macs on my local network. With DMA for just a little extra cash you can go way beyond just Music.

The Apple's AirPlay is also really good and easy to use. I stream music from iTunes library over WiFi to AirPort Express ($99) in another room. But for the price of AirPort Express (streams Music only) you can now get the new Apple TV and add a whole bunch of Video and Photo content to your set-up.

Saw this in an email today

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=AIR-PC10T-FB-R&cm_mmc=geekmail-_-newarrivals_html-_-05mar11-_-AIR-PC10T-FB-R

If you are using the analog output from the pc (ie headphone 3.5mm connection), then the transmitter/receiver units (model W1 for $99) from AudioEngine works great. I have two rooms in my house receiving audio from a music server pc using these.

Back