Wireless Controls with Elk M1G

icellama21

Hey, looking for ideas for a wireless control that can interface with an Elk M1G. I know there is no one-stop elk solution at this time(hint, hint). What have people been using? This is what I have found so far:

1) WiFi tablet/PDA running ElkRMS. What works here? I think most PDA screens are too small to be efficient. A Q1 is kind of what comes to mind. Anyone using a wireless CE/XPe device?

2) GE crystal wireless keyfobs(limited to 4 buttons) or panic buttons. Anyone using something else?

3) RF/IR remote controllers communicating via serial ASCII strings. Need lots of rules for this and don't get a lot of feedback. Is there a good integrated solution that goes from remote --> RS232 without using pieces from 4 different companies?

Other ideas? Thanks!

This is exactly the type of use I had in mind for eKeypad.

You can use it on an iTouch for wireless capabilities via Wifi or an iPhone to take the same wireless capability with you wherever you have a cellular signal.

eKeypad communicates directly with the M1XEP and has full support for the entire Elk M1 family of controls.

You can read more here.

--
Jayson

I use jaysonc's eK+ for my handheld use - both on my iPhone and my iPod Touch... Wife uses it - that should say plenty.

I currently use ElkRM on a UMPC as well (Sony of some sort), a similar experience to what you might get on a Q1. Furthermore, I hope to use Jayson's EK++++++ (I forget the exact name) once the version with camera support becomes available.

We have been using a Samsung Q1 for about a year. It runs most any PC software. Check out the Elk third party software applications that allow for complete customization of the pages.

http://elkproducts.com/products/m1/m1partners.htm

BTW, I don't think the listing for CQC is correct. CQC can use the Elk's serial port or the M1XEP. I currently use CQC with the M1XEP.

wuench, the listing may seem confusing but it is accurate. You can connect CQC to the main serial port OR through the M1XEP, but either way the main serial port is taken since the M1XEP has to connect there.

I am one of Jayson's iPhone beta test guinea pigs on the up coming ekeypad release and all I can say is "N I C E" job.

This is for all you guys that like to be teased.

I use a W800 receiver with PalmPads for wireless control of the M1G. Works quite
well. I can control from all over the house and outside(from the neighbors house too).

PalPads are cheap and the receiver is inexpensive. Just plug it into the serial module
on the M1G. Elk already has all the software you need to control whatever you
want to control, with schedules also. A very flexible system.

Cliffs

Back