Wireless GE NX-454

I don't know what the official spec is, but I would say (with my testing) it's probably about 1" or so (certainly well under 2"). However, I'm paranoid so I probably wouldn't trust it beyond a 1/2".

Anybody know if it's ok to place these sensors at 90 degrees (with minimal gap) instead of on the same plane? They seem to work, I just wonder if they are more prone to false/fail in this configuration.

So, like this... L instead of like this... =

Sorry for slightly hijacking this thread with a follow-up question. But maybe you might be interesting in this as well.

I would not turn it 90 degree because it may give you false alarm. If you look at the magnet and the sensor itself there is a small arrow that's where they tell you to align two arrows pointing at each other.

I would not turn it 90 degree because it may give you false alarm. If you look at the magnet and the sensor itself there is a small arrow that's where they tell you to align two arrows pointing at each other.

I'm aware of the arrows and that the proper way to align the magnet and sensor is to keep them on the same plane. I'm looking at installing them in an L shape instead because of spacing problems with my windows. So, the two arrows would still be very close, but not on the same plane. In my testing, they seemed to work fine. But, I want them as reliable in this configuration as in their normal configuration. I'm just looking for any input from anybody that might have installed these (or similar) sensors this way.

I'm aware of the arrows and that the proper way to align the magnet and sensor is to keep them on the same plane. I'm looking at installing them in an L shape instead because of spacing problems with my windows. So, the two arrows would still be very close, but not on the same plane. In my testing, they seemed to work fine. But, I want them as reliable in this configuration as in their normal configuration. I'm just looking for any input from anybody that might have installed these (or similar) sensors this way.

I cannot answer your question, but I can tell you that I am have been testing one installed just so for the past several weeks. However, technically, all I did was rotate the magnet portion 90 degrees (the "top" of the magnet is aligned with the "side" of the sensor--the bottom of the magnet is stuck to the narrow aluminum window frame...and the bottom of the sensor is stuck to the side of the wood window trim...

overhead view follows:

============<--window
U <--magnet stuck to window
D <--sensor stuck to side trim at right angle

I hope that makes sense!

For comparison, the "correct" orientation is theoretically as follows (still overhead view):

wood window frame
V

H============<--window
U U <--magnet on window

^
sensor stuck on wood window frame

(the lengths I'll go to to not take a photo...or even draw a picture!)

I cannot answer your question, but I can tell you that I am have been testing one installed just so for the past several weeks. However, technically, all I did was rotate the magnet portion 90 degrees (the "top" of the magnet is aligned with the "side" of the sensor--the bottom of the magnet is stuck to the narrow aluminum window frame...and the bottom of the sensor is stuck to the side of the wood window trim...

overhead view follows:

============<--window

I hope that makes sense!

For comparison, the "correct" orientation is theoretically as follows (still overhead view):

wood window frame
V

H============<--window
U U <--magnet on window

^
sensor stuck on wood window frame

(the lengths I'll go to to not take a photo...or even draw a picture!)

I have 20 of them in my house and I've had no false alarms. So far so good.

-=*Sharby*=-

overhead view follows:

============<--window

I hope that makes sense!

Yep, that is almost exactly the orientation I'm referring to. I will be sticking the magnet to the window, and the sensor at 90 degrees/right angle (same as you described) to the wall (I have recessed windows). They will only be a 1/4" apart, but at a right angle instead of lined up. Although, in my case picture the "D" back a little more so that the edges are what are closest. If that made any sense.

Anybody know if it's ok to place these sensors at 90 degrees (with minimal gap) instead of on the same plane? They seem to work, I just wonder if they are more prone to false/fail in this configuration.

Mine work fine that way... I have about 20 or so installed at a right angle without a single false alarm yet. System has been up for about 6 months.

- jason

What is the maximum magnetic gap for this wireless sensor

I agree to keep it under 1". However on one of my doors the gap was just too big no matter what I did. So I purchased an 8lb pull neodyn magnet from a surplus store and stuck it to the magnet that came with the sensor. This made the magnet 2x as tall, and closed the gap. Works like a charm. 8lb pull = about 2" of gap in my experience.

- jason

Back