Wireless HDMI via Optoma WHD200

wkearney99

I just picked up an Optoma WHD200 wireless HDMI transmitter/receiver setup.  

It seems to actually work reasonably well.  I've used it, briefly, to send 1080i video from my Tivo Roamio Pro to a Dashbon portable projector.  My goal being to find a way to send in-house media from the Tivo out to the projector in the adjacent yard.  To that end it actually works reasonably well, at least during a limited test.

I didn't try the IR features, as my Tivo RF remote worked over the same distance.  However, I may be setting it up with a spare 1st gen Tivo Mini that only has IR control.  The idea being I'll set it up with Chromecast or something on the 2nd port of the Optoma.  The Amazon Fire TV stick, which works great directly connected to the Dashbon, doesn't have IR input control (the remote is Bluetooth).  So I wouldn't be able to leave that on the transmitter end.  While the Fire stick has the ability to be controlled via an app, it's clunky to use, at least compared to the remote.

The receiver part works powered by the USB socket on the projector itself.  Which is nice.  It's still a separate box and requires two cables (hdmi and usb power).  I have some short cables that keep it from being to much of a wiring mess.

The Tivo mini can be controlled via app or RF with a USB dongle.  I bought the QWERTY remote upgrade for my Roamio Pro that came with a dongle.  I used the dongle on a mini in our guest room and use the original Roamio RF remote (non QWERTY) with the mini from my garage.  The original mini remote still works in the guest room via IR also.  I'm using component out in the guest room for the TV there and have a 50' HDMI cable that runs out to the garage.  Great way to have the mini doing double duty.

Agreed, with the right dongle/remote it's possible.  I'll have to see if I've still got one of those in my box of tivo stuff.  Lord knows I've got a metric assload of spare IR remotes from over the years....

Back